Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Whopper Junior

colbygil is on a distinguished road
Default K&N filter with Evolution

New to the site and I have ordered an evolution a few months ago and love it. I am in need of a new air filter and am thinking of going with the K&N drop in filter. I've heard of people running lean with the CAI and custom tunes took care of that. My question is do I need custom tunes if I am only running the drop in filter? Only other modification I have is flowmaster SI/DO exhaust and my truch is a 2004 f150. I will probably upgrade to custom tunes sometime in the future but right now I don't have the need to.
Thanks.
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
PHP Cheerleading Section

OneTomcat is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure a drop in filter will not affect the air flow enough to cause a lean condition. I believe a lean condition only arises by adding a CAI system of whatever brand you decide on.

'05 F150 FX4 SCAB
K&N FIPK
Magellan Navigation System
Full Boar Performance SIDO exhaust
Gryphon PHP Programmer w/ custom tunes
4UCam wireless backup cam
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Wanna go fast

fordkindaguy is on a distinguished road

Ehh hard to say ,the 04-05 can be strange beasts when it comes to messing with the air intake.The gotts mod also increases air flow but im sure not as much as the K&N will. The K&N to me will add much more air flow than stock and the Gotts mod. With more air flow than the Gotts i wonder if a custom tune will need to be built. This will be best answered by bill. Very unique question!
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 08:30 PM
PHP Cheerleading Section

Pretty sure a drop in filter makes little or no difference in causing a lean condition as it is well after the air flow sensor and there is no difference in the routing of the air. The CAI type dramatically changes the way the air enters the motor with the filter being first in line. However, been wrong before

'05 F150 FX4 SCAB
K&N FIPK
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I got the K&N filter and noticed a small difference after installing it. Also noticed a little more power after doing the Gotts mod. Those two by themselvs do not need a custom tune calibration because it does not effect the flow of air over the MAF sensor. I was just chatting with Bill yesterday about it, and as long as the air goes through the same stock tube that holds the sensor, the computer will still know how much air is coming through and keep the A/F ratio up to spec.
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM
PHP Cheerleading Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
I got the K&N filter and noticed a small difference after installing it. Also noticed a little more power after doing the Gotts mod. Those two by themselvs do not need a custom tune calibration because it does not effect the flow of air over the MAF sensor. I was just chatting with Bill yesterday about it, and as long as the air goes through the same stock tube that holds the sensor, the computer will still know how much air is coming through and keep the A/F ratio up to spec.
I had the K&N drop in before getting the FIPK and noticed the same as you.....plus a tick louder when ya floor it.

'05 F150 FX4 SCAB
K&N FIPK
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 11:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

OneTom - you're right as usual! The K&N will not need a new tune. It has no effect on the MAF environment. Longshot, you're dead on too.

That's it - I'm going to take a year off!

As an aside though, I HAVE heard that bad things can happen if the oiling of the K&N is not done properly. This seems a pretty rare thing, however.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, October 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Whopper Junior

colbygil is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the help here. Now I feel more confident getting this K&N filter but will still probably upgrade to custom tunes in a year or so. Great website with lots of good information!