Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Whopper

ROtested is on a distinguished road
Default This has to be a first -custom tune disappointment

The email came in yesterday advising that my custom tunes were ready, Woo Hoo! I returned the truck to stock and brought the programmer inside. The Pegasus software download proceeded without a hitch and the "targeted functions" optiooin loaded my 3 custom tunes into the Gryphon with no issues: Custom 87 Tow, Custom 87 Perf, Custom 93 Perf.

I have been running the canned level 2 since I got the Gryphon in June and have been very happy with it, to the point where I was surprised at the very noticeable imropvement(s) it made. I went back out to the truck, hooked up the Gryphon, loaded up the Custom 87 Perf tune (level 2) and went for a ride. Big disappointment. It felt like I was back in stock programming and the truck felt as though it had significantly less performance than the canned level 2 I was running. I am certain the custom tunes were loaded into the Gryphon correctly as they were listed on the unit properly during "power programming" and after loading in the new custom tune, the number 2 was displayed indicating that I was running the custom level 2 tune. I came back home, loaded in the level 1 Custom 87 Tow tune and while it shfted a little differently than the custom 87 Perf, it was also less than expected. The canned level 2 performed significatly better than both custom tunes I tried. I didn't try the Custom 93 Perf as I have a full tank of 87.

I am in no way second guessing my descision to purchase the Gryphon or implying that I am an unhappy customer. I am just surprised as everything I have read indicates that I should have felt just the opposite going from canned to custom. I plugged the Gryphon back in to the computer and ran a "calibration update" which removed the custom tunes and reverted the Gryphon back to the canned tunes. I hooked it back into the truck, loaded up the canned level 2 and the truck runs great, right back to where I was before.
Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

jimmyv13 is on a distinguished road

Something must be wrong...my custom 87 perf tune blew the doors off all of my canned tunes.

Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
Something must be wrong...my custom 87 perf tune blew the doors off all of my canned tunes.
I agree the 87 perf. was definitely better than the canned tow tune.
Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
PHP Cheerleading Section

OneTomcat is on a distinguished road

A first for sure. There is just no comparison between canned and custom tunes. I'm sure Bill will get in on this one. It has to be an error somewhere (programming glitch, wrong hex code, etc). Ya suppose even Bill could have made a mistake??..... nah, couldn't happen .

Hang in there. I'm sure this will get straightened out.

'05 F150 FX4 SCAB
K&N FIPK
Magellan Navigation System
Full Boar Performance SIDO exhaust
Gryphon PHP Programmer w/ custom tunes
4UCam wireless backup cam
Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
That's what I'm thinking, I probably screwed something up! I put the truck back to stock and I just went back into Pegasus and ran "targeted functions" which re-installed my 3 custom tunes. I haven't tried re-programming the truck again yet, gonna wait until I get a better idea of what I might be doing wrong.
Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

It also depends on your expectations of the the tune. My 87 performance tune didn't make my truck any quicker but it did make it a little more fun to drive. I would drive the truck stock for a week or so to get accostomed to the stock 'feel', then try the custom tune and see what the difference is.
Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
It also depends on your expectations of the the tune. My 87 performance tune didn't make my truck any quicker but it did make it a little more fun to drive. I would drive the truck stock for a week or so to get accostomed to the stock 'feel', then try the custom tune and see what the difference is.
Go back to stock? I understand where you are going but no way! The point is that the canned level 2's performance far and away exceeds the performance of the Custom 87 Perf in my truck and that goes against the grain here.
Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

ROtested, for the e-mail heads up! I've printed out your message to give to Bill (he's with a customer at the moment), and we'll see what he comes up with. Something definitely seems amiss.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Fri, October 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I was just putting that out there as an option. If you want that tune to really feel 'high performance' use a bicycle for a month, next time you go down the road you'll really feel like your going. lol:super:
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 02:53 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
I was just putting that out there as an option. If you want that tune to really feel 'high performance' use a bicycle for a month, next time you go down the road you'll really feel like your going. lol:super:
ROFLMAO!

Anyway... ROtested, you may want to put the truck back to stock, drive an hour or so to let the PCM settle back into a "normal" state and then try the custom tunes again. I've had a few folks do that and it has worked wonders.

If the truck still isn't responding properly with the custom tuning, I'd be happy to get a look at them to see if there's something we either missed or boo-boo'd. We're human... it happens.

Keep me posted.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!