Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, August 19th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Whopper

blackfx4ny is on a distinguished road
Default I have a problem.

The other day I went out to the truck and the Gryphon didn't come on. I turned off the truck, blew out the holes where the OBD-II cable plugs in (both ends) and made sure everything was secure. Still nothing. I brought the Gryphon in to hook it to the computer and see if it would come on. The screen does light up but I don't remember if there was supposed to be some sort of graphic or not. I sent Corey a message on Sunday and realize she hasnt been feeling well since then and that's fine. She needs her rest. Could someone please tell me if I am supposed to see anything other than color when I hook the Gryphon to the computer and is there something I may not have done that I can do to see if I can fix it? I did try pressing the up and down arrows to see if screen's brightness (right word?) had been turned down or not and still nothing.
Old Wed, August 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Make sure to check the fuse panel. The OBDII port runs on the same fuse as the cigarette lighter and often gets popped by phone chargers and other accessories.

If that doesn't pan out, try plugging the unit into another 1998 or later vehicle. It should at least light up, even if it won't communicate with the vehicle. ALL OBDII ports use the same pinouts for power and ground.

Let me know what happens.

BTW - When plugging the Gryphon into the USB, it will light up but you should NOT see anything on the display.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, August 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Whopper

blackfx4ny is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bill, that fixed it right up. If it happens to anyone else it's fuse 41.
Old Thu, August 20th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Awesome! Glad it was something simple.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Sat, August 22nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
Whopper

1999RedXLT is on a distinguished road
Default Same Problem, Different Result

Started the truck after work yesterday and the Gryphon was DEAD. No LCD illumination, nothing. Truck started and ran fine. Turned the truck off and back on a couple of times - no change. Turned off ignition, unplugged and plugged Gryphon cable a couple of times. Turned ignition back on - nothing. Unplugged Gryphon with engine running, plugged it back in - did a cold start, i.e. showed me Hex code, etc. then went to menu. Operating normally since. I'm in central Florida and it was pretty hot yesterday, but I put my hand on the pod and it didn't seem excessively warm. Does the Gryphon have a thermal cutout in it?

Feel better Corey!
Old Sat, August 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999RedXLT View Post
Started the truck after work yesterday and the Gryphon was DEAD. No LCD illumination, nothing. Truck started and ran fine. Turned the truck off and back on a couple of times - no change. Turned off ignition, unplugged and plugged Gryphon cable a couple of times. Turned ignition back on - nothing. Unplugged Gryphon with engine running, plugged it back in - did a cold start, i.e. showed me Hex code, etc. then went to menu. Operating normally since. I'm in central Florida and it was pretty hot yesterday, but I put my hand on the pod and it didn't seem excessively warm. Does the Gryphon have a thermal cutout in it?

Feel better Corey!
It's more so the LCD screen that has a heat issue. It usually goes black at temps over 120-125. Now if it's 95 out in the sun it could be +30 degrees warmer than 95. Some goodways to prevent the heat exposure are sun shades windsheild shades. Park in shade. Or remove gryphon from pod.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, August 23rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Whopper

1999RedXLT is on a distinguished road

Thanks Lars, but it wasn't black. It looked normal, but like the power was off.
Old Sun, August 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM

I'm not aware of a thermal cutout in the unit. We've run our programmer on our dash in temps that actually caused our GPS to shut down and the progmmer worked flawlessly. The screen was a little dark when we started up, but otherwise functional.

If it does it again, please let us know. I'll also check and see if Edge has made any changes that included some sort of thermal protection.

Take care.

(678) 890-1110

Old Sun, August 23rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Whopper Junior

da6266 is on a distinguished road

Have seen my Gryphon do a similar "fade out". Never gone completely dark but when left out in the sun (I am in Texas - Over 60 days of 100+ this summer) I have seen the screen fade out. Always figured it was the sun/heat as if I removed it and sit in the house for a while the screen shows fine.
Old Mon, August 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Same here, Austin has actually made a record of its 51st day of 100+ weather.

Last edited by Longshot270; Fri, September 4th, 2009 at 11:17 PM.