Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

jimmyv13 is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon Review

I am very upset

for not getting the Gryphon upgrade on my Edge a long time ago. I received the Gryphon with my 87 perf tune on Friday and had it installed for my trip this weekend to visit my bro-in-law. Packed up the truck...wife, dog, 6 week old baby, entire bed was full of stuff(don't ask because I don't know, I just pack what the boss says). On the way there, I was in a bit of a hurry(we left later that I was hoping) and ran 77MPH on the highway, only hitting my brakes once because some law-abiding citizen decided that the left lane was the correct lane to put on make-up and go 50MPH. Incidentally, my MPH was dead on comparing the Gryphon to my GPS when I got it back from PHP with my 34" tires. It didn't used to be until I went into custom settings and messed with the tire size until it matched my GPS. Maybe Bill did this for me while he had it? No idea. Anyway, I was heading due W with not much wind and averaged 17.1MPH when I pulled into his driveway. The entire trip was a little over 159 miles from driveway to driveway. I never even got close to that with my Edge on level 1 or 2. Pretty happy with those results. I gained a ton of performance over canned tune 1 and 2 and got better MPG....

While I was there, my wife's cousin shows up...he drives an '08 Silverado Crewcab shortbox. He's in love with it so we call him Howie Long and we call his truck an S-10. He hates my truck because...well, first it's a Ford, it's taller and now sounds better with the exhaust. So, he decides to shut me up by trying to pass me on the highway on our way into town. We went at it from a roll of about 25 and I never saw him...until pulled in behind me. It was over before we even hit 60. He gave no excuses...my foot slipped off the pedal, nothing. He simply said, your truck is now faster than mine. Until the upgrade, he would get me by about a 1/2 truck. We used to be dead even with my stock 18" wheels, but with the 20's he would pull away a bit. No more. He's probably online today trying to figure out what it'll cost him for a programmer, big wheels and a level kit.

Coming home, I was not in a hurry, so I set the cruise at 73. I was traveling due E this time, for those of you not paying attention, with a slight 10MPH wind out of the NW. When I got off the interstate, I was at 18.9MPG.

Got back to the house and it was at 18.5MPG. I feel these numbers are fairly accurate since the MPH on the Gryphon matches that of my GPS. I did not get a chance to see if there were custom settings for tire size or gear ratio, we got home so late, I just wanted to go to bed. My speedo was about 3-4 MPH faster than actual speed. All in all, I am happy and sad...happy that I got it and sad that I didn't do it sooner. This has been a pretty good week for me...got the Gryphon, installed Saleen catback and did the DIY intake.

Bill, Corey, I'd like to thank you for the tireless work. You have a very happy customer right here.

Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 09:44 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

Haha I love the way you started your post

Those are great results... Almost makes me want to get a gasser! ............................................. Almost!
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Ford F150 FX4

way2qk4u2c is on a distinguished road

Nice review....

Don't you just love beating the competition lol its a great feeling!

Its hard to measure up to a FORD.

+1 for PHP
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
Haha I love the way you started your post

Those are great results... Almost makes me want to get a gasser! ............................................. Almost!
I was thinking about trading this truck in for a diesel something...F250, F350 '05 Excursion. I am having fun in it right now, so my trading in bug that I had will hold off for a while.

Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c View Post
Nice review....

Don't you just love beating the competition lol its a great feeling!

Its hard to measure up to a FORD.

+1 for PHP
His truck is newer with a few options I'd like to have, dual climate zones, remote start... also has a higher tow capacity. But, I have leather seats, moonroof, power rear window plus the stuff I've done to it.
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Whopper

tg150 is on a distinguished road

WOW, Great story, Great write up, Great mileage and Awsome looking truck.. Also glad you smoked that Chebby!

I ordered my Gryphon and got a tracking# for it just today . I cant wait for the Big Brown Truck on wed and getting my custom tune in the near future..

Im not looking to get much better fuel economy as i am performance out of my truck and tune, but i will tell you i am way off from your MPG currently. Yesterday i took about an hr trip doing about 65mph steady and i never got more than 13.2MPG. I dont want to sacrifice Performance for gas mileage from my tune but to get both sure is a bonus.

Enjoy..

2004 Scab Lariat
Leveling Kit, 20"OEM's, Magnaflow SI/DO Exhaust, AirAid Jr Intake Kit, K&N Drop in, PHP Gryphon.
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Funny post, Jimmy. Here I almost had heart failure again! You guys have got to stop doing this sort of thing to us old farts. (Or else I've got to stop caring about Bill and Corey). :o

Great testimonial!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Ford F150 FX4

way2qk4u2c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
His truck is newer with a few options I'd like to have, dual climate zones, remote start... also has a higher tow capacity. But, I have leather seats, moonroof, power rear window plus the stuff I've done to it.
I dont care for dual climate zones...if my girl is cold it just means she needs to put more clothes on- and if she is hot then she needs to start taking clothes off lol

I have a remote starter on mine- you should put one on lol easy mod to put in.

tow capacity- doesnt matter to me to much lol- i only tow 2 bikes total of 800 pounds.

Chevy just looks very ugly lol
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c View Post
Chevy just looks very ugly lol
It DOES, doesn't it? Who the hell wants a truck that wears a bowtie?

- Jack
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
It DOES, doesn't it? Who the hell wants a truck that wears a bowtie?

- Jack
man I could put that quote in a signature line... Never understood why Chevy thought it was cool to have such low ground clearance on their trucks even the 4x4's. 3/4 and 1 ton IFS truck never made any sense to me either. Owned an older F250 with the double wishbone suspension and it was more trouble than it was worth. Was the only IFS 4x4 that I ever owned too...
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's