Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Whopper Junior

desirico is on a distinguished road
No more Gryphon for 97-03 F150?

Please tell me this is not true. I have a 01 F150 5.4L King Ranch S/C and have been putting some cash away to order this I was planning on doing so by the end of the week or early next week.

If in fact this is true is there any reason on why? Do we have any other options that are similar to the Gryphon where one could get custom tunes?

Cheers
Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirico View Post
Please tell me this is not true. I have a 01 F150 5.4L King Ranch S/C and have been putting some cash away to order this I was planning on doing so by the end of the week or early next week.

If in fact this is true is there any reason on why? Do we have any other options that are similar to the Gryphon where one could get custom tunes?

Cheers
Unfortunately, it IS true. The reason is because of all the problems that members have been having with the OBDII cables to this device. Simply stated, they are not manufactured properly and they are continually failing, rendering the programmer useless. PHP has no say in the source for these things, they come from Edge. So, unless Edge goes to a different supplier and can show that the cables are again reliable, PHP has decided to stop selling the programmers for those model years. PHP does NOT want to sell you "junk"!

PHP will, however continue to support any current owners of these programmers and will continue to work toward resolution of cable issues with those units.

And, all is not lost. PHP now sells the SCT X3 - a very respected programmer that can be programmed with custom tunes for 97-03 model year trucks.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Whopper Junior

desirico is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Unfortunately, it IS true. The reason is because of all the problems that members have been having with the OBDII cables to this device. Simply stated, they are not manufactured properly and they are continually failing, rendering the programmer useless. PHP has no say in the source for these things, they come from Edge. So, unless Edge goes to a different supplier and can show that the cables are again reliable, PHP has decided to stop selling the programmers for those model years. PHP does NOT want to sell you "junk"!

PHP will, however continue to support any current owners of these programmers and will continue to work toward resolution of cable issues with those units.

And, all is not lost. PHP now sells the SCT X3 - a very respected programmer that can be programmed with custom tunes for 97-03 model year trucks.

- Jack
How does the SCT X3 compare to the Gryphon? Also is there much difference in the price?
Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirico View Post
How does the SCT X3 compare to the Gryphon? Also is there much difference in the price?
Either device can be used to program your PCM. Either device can be loaded with custom tunes. The big difference is that the X3 is a "use and put away" tool, while the Gryphon can be left sitting on your dash as an extra set of gauges. This of course, makes the Gryphon a nice target for thieves, while the X3 sits safely somewhere in your home when not in use. The disadvantage of the X3 is that it DOESN'T give you the gauges - but, you CAN get a Scangauge that provides this functionality.

As far as price goes - what I've seen on several websites shows the X3 as being a bit cheaper than the Gryphon. Bill and Corey have not posted a price or ordering information for it yet, but I imagine they will soon.

- Jack
Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Let the Mud come!!!

twintips_17 is on a distinguished road

^^^^^^ He beat me to it^^^^^^^^

Well that sucks.

My father was just about to order one to...... Any idea on if they are trying to fix it?? THis is the first i have heard of it. What exactly is the problem? Maybe that is why I can’t get mine to work half of the time.... Doubt it.

The down side to the sct is it doesn't mount on the dash. You plug it in, do your changes, and unplug it. It still tells you all the same info but just isn't in a configuration for leaving it plugged in.

Now that they have this capability I wonder if they will start to offer the SCT Livewire. Almost the same thing as the gryphon and you can leave it on the dash.

Any thoughts Jack?

SUPERcrew
AF1, EDGE, and EFANS with Magnaflow Exhast SISO.
Expy Console and Rear Seat Swap! Eagle 16's with 285-75/16 ST's
Gryphon Tuner soon to have custom tunes by PHP!

Last edited by twintips_17; Tue, May 5th, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintips_17 View Post
Well that sucks.

My father was just about to order one to...... Any idea on if they are trying to fix it?? THis is the first i have heard of it. What exactly is the problem? Maybe that is why I can’t get mine to work half of the time.... Doubt it.

The down side to the sct is it doesn't mount on the dash. You plug it in, do your changes, and unplug it. It still tells you all the same info but just isn't in a configuration for leaving it plugged in.

Now that they have this capability I wonder if they will start to offer the SCT Livewire. Almost the same thing as the gryphon and you can leave it on the dash.

Any thoughts Jack?
I don't know if they have the Livewire in their future at all. But, as I said, a Scangauge gives you the gauges (admittedly, at extra cost).

I also know, twintips, that Bill and Corey will continue to work to fix the problems you are having with your unit. My guess is, the cable could well be the problem. I'd have to think that maybe SOME of the cables made by this manufacturer are OK. It's just that there is an unacceptable failure rate right now.

Your Father's truck is a 97-03 model too?

- Jack
Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I don't know if they have the Livewire in their future at all. But, as I said, a Scangauge gives you the gauges (admittedly, at extra cost).

I also know, twintips, that Bill and Corey will continue to work to fix the problems you are having with your unit. My guess is, the cable could well be the problem. I'd have to think that maybe SOME of the cables made by this manufacturer are OK. It's just that there is an unacceptable failure rate right now.

Your Father's truck is a 97-03 model too?

- Jack
Yeah. I got mine and then he liked it so much he bought on a year older with twice the miles on it for half hte price and you cant tell the differance between them.... LOL Same color and everything. Mines an FX4 though.

That makes four F150's and Expys sitting in the driveway all in the same 97-03 years. Kind of a family thing.

To just tell you how much the tuning is better. I have the worst driving habits out of all of them. Being 23 and always in the gas... What a shocker.... My dad drives like an old man always babying it. With what i have done to my truck(biggest thing being the tuning) I get almost 2.5 more MPG's over all the other rigs. When were on the highway i see almost 3.5 over them. And they all have the same gears and tire sizes. And they are all 5.4's.

I let him borrow mine every once in a while and he never wants to give it up. Says that it has a lot more feal to driving it.

I would just hate to see them not be able to offer up such a great product. He really had his heart set on a gryphon and i almost had him talked into ordering one this next couple of weeks.....
Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Edge has told us the problem is that something is being crushed during the manufacturing of the cable. We re working with them to try and track down a lot number or something, but every few weeks, we order these cables, and for the past several orders, we've had issues.

If they can get the problem resolved, we'll be happy to add the 97-03 F-150 Gryphon back to our product line! It's just that for the time being, we don't think it's fair to sell something to our customers when we're not sure if it's going to work or not.

We actually sold one yesterday to a customer who called, and we explained everything about the cable. He decided to take a chance since it doesn't seem that 100% of the cables that are having the problem.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, May 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
Edge has told us the problem is that something is being crushed during the manufacturing of the cable. We re working with them to try and track down a lot number or something, but every few weeks, we order these cables, and for the past several orders, we've had issues.

If they can get the problem resolved, we'll be happy to add the 97-03 F-150 Gryphon back to our product line! It's just that for the time being, we don't think it's fair to sell something to our customers when we're not sure if it's going to work or not.

We actually sold one yesterday to a customer who called, and we explained everything about the cable. He decided to take a chance since it doesn't seem that 100% of the cables that are having the problem.
Thats a bummer Corey. Sorry to hear that. On a lighter note. I have seen that some people that ordered custom tuens in the same week or so as me have gotten theirs. Any idea of how close i am to the top of the pile???

I know it was a busy week when you guys were putting on that sale. I was just curious.

Thanks.