Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, June 22nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
Whopper

stryker6040 is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny/shifting issue

Using my 87 custom performance tune it seems my truck too has the gear lock up problem. it cant seem to make up its mind between 3rd and 4th between 50mph and 60mph on flat road with no load. it will go to 4th but wont lock then all of a sudden it will back down to 3rd and lock for a second before it think it should be back in 4th but doesnt lock there either.

Also having an rpm issue while driving on highway with CC and AC on which wasnt there before on the canned gryphon. RPMs seem to surge for about 1-3 seconds every mile or so. It feels really weird cause out of no where the truck will just start to pull for no reason and the exhuast will get louder, and then goes away. With the AC off there doesnt seem to be an issue.
Old Mon, June 22nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

First of all are you still running a tb spacer?
If you are take it out and use it as a paper weight.
If you have removed it from your truck also remove it from the user cp.
Second of all these conditions are not present when at stock? Right?
Try cleaning the maf sensor with maf sensor cleaner. Also check your tb and make sure its clean.
As far as the shifting and non lock conditions I will post a link of this thread in the moderator's help section. Also what year is you truck?

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, June 22nd, 2009, 12:57 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
First of all are you still running a tb spacer?
If you are take it out and use it as a paper weight.
If you have removed it from your truck also remove it from the user cp.
Second of all these conditions are not present when at stock? Right?
Try cleaning the maf sensor with maf sensor cleaner. Also check your tb and make sure its clean.
As far as the shifting and non lock conditions I will post a link of this thread in the moderator's help section. Also what year is you truck?

Lars
The spacer has been in the truck since a few weeks after i bought it. at that time i had the spacer and an airaid jr kit with the intake tube and replacment filter
Correct the conditions were not present at stock or using the canned tunes only after receiving the custom tunes. the maf sensor is clean and so is the tb and it moves freely just like the stock one. i had my custom tunes wrote around the mods in my profile

my truck is a 2008 F150screw 5.4
Old Mon, June 22nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker6040 View Post
The spacer has been in the truck since a few weeks after i bought it. at that time i had the spacer and an airaid jr kit with the intake tube and replacment filter
Correct the conditions were not present at stock or using the canned tunes only after receiving the custom tunes. the maf sensor is clean and so is the tb and it moves freely just like the stock one. i had my custom tunes wrote around the mods in my profile

my truck is a 2008 F150screw 5.4
What I was trying to say about the tb spacer is it doesn't do a thing for the truck. Just read this link: http://www.f150online.com/forums/oth...ml#post3688662

Or do a search on here.

I too had this installed. Now its on my garage wall of shame.

Hopefully Bill or Corey get some input in here. About what's going on.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Mon, June 22nd, 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old Mon, June 22nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Stryker, if you didn't notice the one reference to this in the link that Lars posted, the throttle body spacer seemed to give modest gains back when engines had carburetors. They seem to do nothing either pro or con for a fuel injected vehicle except, in some cases, cause noise.

I see them as an unnecessary complication that should not be used under the K.I.S.S. principle. My advice would also be to take it off.

It really sounds to me like the TC on your truck is sensing load and is unlocking, then locking back up again. You could check for this of course if you monitored "Comm Gear" as one of your PIDs. I might help Bill fix the issue if you were able to either confirm or reject this hypothesis.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, June 22nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Stryker, if you didn't notice the one reference to this in the link that Lars posted, the throttle body spacer seemed to give modest gains back when engines had carburetors. They seem to do nothing either pro or con for a fuel injected vehicle except, in some cases, cause noise.

I see them as an unnecessary complication that should not be used under the K.I.S.S. principle. My advice would also be to take it off.

It really sounds to me like the TC on your truck is sensing load and is unlocking, then locking back up again. You could check for this of course if you monitored "Comm Gear" as one of your PIDs. I might help Bill fix the issue if you were able to either confirm or reject this hypothesis.

- Jack
thats what i had on my PID when it started doing it. i was on a flat road going 55 when it first happened then all of a sudden it when down to 3rd and locked for a second then back up into 4th with no lock and then it kicked back down to 3rd with no lock again so then i went to 60mph and it did the same thing