Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, July 31st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Double Whopper

PhqChevys is on a distinguished road
Question E-85 tune for gas engine?

My '07 F-150 isn't E-85 like most '07's out there. But E-85 is really cheap where I live. Can you write a tune that will convert the truck to E-85, or is there sensors or other things that my truck is missing to make it a Flex Fuel truck?
Old Sun, August 2nd, 2009, 01:29 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The calibration isn't set up to run as a "flex-fuel" type truck but we can do calibrations that will take advantage of the higher octane rating of E-85 fuel. With a slightly more aggressive timing curve and fuel mixture, they can run pretty well. Not as good as straight gasoline, but pretty close.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, August 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'd be worried though about the effect of E85 on components. Aren't special materials used in flex fuel vehicles and doesn't Ford say NO to using E85 in a non-flex fuel truck?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, August 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

In going through the parts lists on a FFV vs. a non-FFV, I'm hard pressed to find any difference in components. The service manager at one of our local Ford dealers also indicated to me that there isn't any significant difference in the builds of the vehicles or in replacement parts. Now this could mean that all replacement parts are FFV compatible while there are differences during manufacturing, or it could mean that there really isn't any difference.

The biggest concern is obviously going to be the fuel tank, fuel pump, and fuel lines, since the engines (including injectors) are identical. In investigating replacement components for these, I've not noticed any separation in part numbers for FFV and non-FFV vehicles.

I am continuing to investigate any possible differences in manufacturing and further validate my findings, but so far there doesn't seem to be any real reason why you can't run E85 in late model vehicles, so long as the tuning supports it.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, August 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Double Whopper

PhqChevys is on a distinguished road

I talked with Ford while I was there yesterday. The service manager and the guy at the parts counter told me that the parts used between the FFV and Gas versions of the truck are the same. They said that Ford uses the same parts during assemble to simplify the assembly process, there was only 2 exceptions, the in tank fuel pump and the computer calibration. Besides that, the injectors, fuel rail, fuel lines, ect. are all the same. Now, like I said, this is just what they TOLD me, no other verification than that, I may be wrong, may be right...just passing on information...
Old Sat, August 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Sounds like it COULD be true, and if so, it supports those who say E85 can be run in any truck. Wonder what the fuel pump difference is though?

- Jack