Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sun, May 9th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Whopper

TTMX911 is on a distinguished road
Help E-Fans

So I have an 08 F150 5.4 Supercrew just over 30,000 miles and the goal of making it as fuel effecient as possible. I'm hoping to hit 20+ hwy/17-18 city. I've installed a K&N CAI, Jet MAF, and Edge EVO. I unfortunately found out about PHP shortly after I had purchased me Edge EVO. I read a lot of write ups on E-Fans about the parasatic losses and performance gains. In theory it all makes perfect sense. Lose the 20lb weight from the engine and the drag of the clutch which feel like a fluid drive clutch inside the fan?? Anywayz......Gain HP and MPG lose drag and free up the engine to run more effeciently......well I jumped and built my own E-Fan kit with a Delta Controller. Turned out killer. Looks factory! I get a lot of compliments from other guys and even the local shop! I did this last November I think. I could instantly feel the HP!! No doubt. Passing on the Hwy is no problem! Very peppy! Coolant Temps run consistantly around 196 which is what my EVO was showing before I did the mod. However........I used to Avg. 16-17 mpg Hwy/City combined. Since I've done the e-fan mod I now get 13-15 mpg! Like I said in theory you would think this would definately generate MPG, but when driving around town when applying the gas the truck revs so freely it's constantly running at 1800-2200 RPM where before I think the Mechanical fan and drag kept the RPMs lower more like 1300-1600. Hence the better fuel mileage before switching to the e-fans. I try to be very light with the gas as I know MPGs are directly related to driving habits, but the thing just revs!!!! On the Hwy I've lost maybe .5-.75 as I used to hit 18 mpg according to the AV.MPG on the EVO; now I see like 17.3 just cruising at 70 mph better when doing 55-65, but I live in Washington and have to drive mountain passes quite a bit. Thinking about dropping the e-fans and going back to stock. Also, after reading abit more I think my engine maybe running too cool and should turn it up to run around 200 deg??? I don't care about HP I owned a 97' Ranger 2.3l 4 cyl. before I got my F150 so this truck has more than enough HP to do everything I need it to. I want MPGs!!!! Bill??? Corey??? Any thoughts??? Next mods are Gibson Ceramic headers and Gibson Stainless CAT Back Single Side Swept Exhaust, then "YES" I do plan on having PHP Convert my EVO to a Gryphon and get Custom Tunes, but I spoke with Bill last year and he told me to wait until I do the headers and exhaust. Just for those of you that were going to tell me I need custom tunes Also can't make up my mind about whether or not to sell the EVO and upgrade to the CS?? I like the idea of tracking more on screen than just 4 and the color screen of course, but don't know whether or not theres any real advantage in performance and most importantly MPG's?? I really like the IMPG and AVMPG on the std EVO/Gryphon would like to keep it Also thinking about switching to different coils for MPGs??? and upgrading to Iridium NGK or Denso Sparkplugs. I guess I should just say it.........."HELP!"