Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue, April 14th, 2009, 09:14 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about
Question Transmision and Torque Converter Tuning discussion

I want to start changing some of my transmission settings (See the other post I made for fueling discussion to address that side on the MPG equation) in order to get the best cruising MPG I can get for trips we do from CO to CA and back several times a year. I am doing it with the Excursion loaded with the family and luggage but not towing... Usually go up over I-70 and pretty much lock cruise control in at 75MPH I have already done the Transgo standard kit VB mod on the tranny and its using Mobil1 Full synthetic fluid TC was also drained too.
some of the parts of I70 I am thinking I will need to flip over to the 80 or 100 HP tune but will have to watch the gauges and see.... Anyhoo, back the the point of discussion here. I am really a Tranny virgin when it comes to changing anything tuning wise. though I understand the operational theory and concepts...

I have not got the Fuel Sipper tune from Bill yet so I can't compare it to stock or the 80HP which Bill said Fuel Sipper is basically the lowered and modded shift points but is about the same as the 80HP tune after about 1/2 throttle.

here is my thinking and hopefullly Cody (who is the resident tranny expert per his signature line) will let me know if I am on the ball or not
If I make the Auto tranny act more like a manual tranny it should get better overall mileage. So to do that I am thinking of making the TC lock up pretty much in every gear on acceleration and up shift. I know it needs to slip under slower speed and under load to prevent it from lagging. Inversely can I let it unlock and coast when slowing down? does slowing or coast really make much difference on the MPG (I am thinking not really) If my thinking is correct then here are a list of questions on how to approach this
I do have the AutoEnginuity Ford enhanced and a Genisys scan tool so I can do plenty of montoring when I make changes.. Just want to get a better idea of what to look at (im using the VRAA6y3 AKA PMT1) for reference here...
1. At what speeds can i set the TC to lock up for each gear

2. Which parameters do i change and to what extent to get the TC lockup without crazy hard shifting like I dropped the cluch.

3. would I need to make the TC unlock at higher throttle positions to prevent damage or lugging to the engine and tranny... if so what parts are at risk of failure and why??

4. I see there is an option to set the tranny hot fluid TC lockup over ride. I was thinking I can set it lower to lock at about 250 or less and unlock say around 220 in order to protect the tranny during testing... (I just got my gauges this week including a tranny gauge) hopefully install this weekend.

5. What is the setting for 3-4(cruise) and 4-3 (cruise) for and why is it different from the 3-4 and 4-3

6. Why no converter lockup in first or second gear below 50% (512) throttle?

7. What is the purpose/reasoning for the zig zag change in 3rd gear lock up that has 38mph at 400 TPP but then 29.5mph at 404TPP? Let me know if you need me to post the graph of it?

8. How does the trans EPC adjustments play into the whole tranny game?

Thanks
DJ
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's