Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer (Disabled)

Gryphon Programmer (Disabled)
Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, February 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Whopper

jhedges16 is on a distinguished road
Default new gryphon not programming

i got my gryphon tonight and went to load the level 1 tune into my truck. I left it connected for about 50 minutes and it just sat at the unlocking pcm screen. I disconnected it cuz it would have killed my battery if i would have left it connected for much longer. any ideas of what i should do?
Old Thu, February 12th, 2009, 10:20 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Josh, I've never seen the screen you are talking about. Can you confirm for me that:
1. Your ignition was in the ON position before you connected the Gryphon to the OBDII port, and,

2. Your truck does not already have a tune installed in its PCM?
Please, I'm just trying to eliminate some of the more common problems before we involve the "Great One". He's really up to his neck in alligators right now and we all need to cut him some slack if we can.

- Jack

2024 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L PowerBoost FX4, Peragon Tonneau Cover, LineX Bed, 35% Window Tint on All Sides and Rear, Full Nose Paint Protection Film, Husky Mud Guards, Lasfit Floor Liners, VIOFO Dash Cam
Old Thu, February 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Whopper

no i did not try it a second time...its been a long day and my trucks been a little aggravating today...

yes the ignition was on before i plugged in the gryphon and the truck does not have a tune installed already. i just got the gryphon today and i have never had another programmer
Old Thu, February 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all
Help, O Great One!

Ugh! I'm out of ideas. I think this is a job for.... :super: (Sorry, Bill)!

- Jack
Old Thu, February 12th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Whopper

well we'll see what happens tomorrow. im done early tomorrow so ill try it again and let you know what happens
Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Let us know what happens and if it continues we can walk through it.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1997!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Windows™ 11 is garbage!

Much to my surprise, I'm actually quite enjoying Linux!
Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Whopper

same thing happened today

i drove the truck first running some errands so it wouldnt be cold and then tried to load the level 1 tune. it took about 35 mins today and i just gave up.

if it matters, heres the steps i took. first plugged in the cable to the edge. turned ignition on. plugged in obd port. screen came on. hit menu. power programming. followed prompts to turn ignition off. then back on. screen came up saying "unlocking pcm..." and thats all that happened
Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Whopper

anytime today until about 3:30 would be great. My girlfriend is taking my truck after that and i wont have it back until sunday. If he cant reach me today, anytime after 2 on monday, wednesday, or friday would work. i understand that he is really busy right now so its no hurry if he cant reach me for a while.
Old Thu, February 26th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Whopper

hey, just wondering if there is any update on what i should do with this situation
Old Fri, February 27th, 2009, 03:55 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Josh,

I must have made a mistake or missed something somewhere. I was under the impression we were having you send the unit back so we could test and/or replace it. Maybe it was in my head.

I don't think there's anything we can do further from this end until we get the unit back. I'll need to test the unit here and make sure it does work correctly and if it does then we need to determine what the communications issue is with your truck.

Unfortunately, I've had one other customer with an early truck that the programmer simply would not communicate with during a programming session. It would start reading and then fail at random points. Fortunately, it didn't fail while programming which would have disabled the PCM. In any event, he ended up having to go with a chip because of the programming issue.

I'm still not sure what exactly the problem is but we've seen similar issues on older 7.3L trucks that use very similar hardware. My guess is that as the PCM ages, the communications chip, clock crystal, or some other component(s) start to drift and cause a timing or voltage issue which results in a PCM that can't be programmed through the OBDII port.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1997!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Windows™ 11 is garbage!

Much to my surprise, I'm actually quite enjoying Linux!