Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Thu, November 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Diesels ARE my speciality. However, the 6.5L has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I actually have a guy here that has souped up his '98 with injectors, an intercooler, aftermarket turbocharger, etc.

He just put a new long block in it since he blew the last one up (go figure ) and now the dang thing just won't run worth a crap. White smoke (unburned fuel) at anything above an idle. I can't advance the injection timing enough to even do the TDC learn. The marks on the pump and the front cover are 5/16" off (advanced) and it still needs to go more. I told him to pull the front cover and see if the timing marks on the cam and pump gear were lined up. He said they were. I was out of ideas.

Any thoughts?

Dang I love electronically injected diesels.
Here's what I learned about getting this thing set up. Using Tech2 to disable the stepper motor you can then get it to learn TDC. Any movement of the crank sensor will require it to be relearned. Disregard any marks on the pump or cover.... as I was told: "They shouldn't be there, they were probably made by someone at some other time." I scratched my head at that too, but after looking at a reman pump we had, there were no marks on it. (?)
But the owner said if you have any questions you're more than welcome to email him, he's happy to help out. Walt, the owner, responds to all tech questions personally, and usually responds to questions within a day. http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/contact.html
Just be sure to include all the info you have about the truck and what this guy has done to it, the tech form asks you for this too.
Walt is a good guy, very knowledgeable, and like Bill, doesn't believe in selling you something he hasn't proven to be a benefit. Drop him a line, I'm sure he can help you figure out what is going on with this guys truck.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Closed Thread