Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > International Navistar Medium Duty Vehicles > 2004 to 2007 International 3000 & 4000 Series

2004 to 2007 International 3000 & 4000 Series VT275, VT365, DT466, and DT570 equipped trucks and buses.

Old Tue, January 12th, 2021, 07:43 PM
Whopper

pwerwagn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Jeff,

Being that I am not 100% certain what the MP8 affects in the system, I would NOT recommend trying to combine the MP8 and the FICM tuning. I'd assume that it's modifying the ICP signal as this is what most aftermarket devices do. The Atlas tuning does not respond well to any external influences to the ICP signal values, either by mechanically/electrically altering the signal (ie. resistors, signal modifier boxes, etc.) or by changing the interpreted value in the ECM (ie. spoofing the A/D Converter values in the code). This leads to the undesired effect of artificially raising the Injection Pulsewidth by making the FICM think the ICP is falling. This is generally not a good thing.

There is no reason you couldn't run the Atlas 40, and in fact I've used it on many trucks already without issue. The tuning is very similar to that which is available for the Power Stroke, but just slightly modified for compatibility with the Navistar control systems.

In regards to the fans... depending on the diameter, the setup I was considering was actually six fans. 3 fans for the split radiator and 3 fans for the intercooler. Small diameter, low profile, high RPM fans would be great as the current draw is low and you could stage them using electric thermostats. Anyway, that was my thoughts.

I hope this is helpful.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I’ll do some measuring and knock something out in solidworks for different fan ideas.

This MP8 is supposed to add 100hp. I can’t find much info about the MP8 and real dyno results. Is 100hp feasible by just manipulating the ICP? I assume the FICM tune will add a lot of drive ability (and MUCH needed low end spool) that would offset the potential power loss from not running the Mp8? Or do you have a safe tow tune/FICM tune combo that could improve over this ICP fooling box (when talking peak hp, I’m sure a real ecm/FICM tune will be better overall)?

Jeff

By the way, if you’d prefer to talk on the phone I’m down for that too. I’ve just had such a hard time finding any info about the VT that I thought having the info out here might be beneficial. There are quite a few guys with these motorhomes looking for tunes besides me (and they all run the MP8 it seems).
Old Thu, January 14th, 2021, 09:59 AM
Whopper

Hey Bill!

Another question. Is there a way to have a "tuner" for the FICM on these units with the J1708/J1939 plug? Or am I stuck sending the FICM/ECM in for a tune?

--Jeff
Old Thu, January 14th, 2021, 10:05 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
Hey Bill!

Another question. Is there a way to have a "tuner" for the FICM on these units with the J1708/J1939 plug? Or am I stuck sending the FICM/ECM in for a tune?

--Jeff
You're in luck. The Orion system will reflash the FICM as well as the ECM.

One of our current BETA testers has the VT365 setup and we're working on files for him as we speak.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, January 14th, 2021, 01:02 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
You're in luck. The Orion system will reflash the FICM as well as the ECM.

One of our current BETA testers has the VT365 setup and we're working on files for him as we speak.
Even Better!! Awesome news Bill!

If you need any testing done in a super heavy setup with 5.29's lemme know. A lot of guys with these supernovas have been looking for a tuner for a while. Hypermax used to have the mach 7, but they only sold a few of them and then discontinued them.

I bet you will sell a lot of these tuners to motorhome owners!

--Jeff
Old Mon, February 1st, 2021, 11:17 AM
Whopper

So, Ive been doing a bunch more reading. I am curious about running a non VGT on this thing, since with 5.29's it seems to never be below 2Krpm.

Did you ever talk to the guys at KC? Id be curious what they think. I am at 2700rpm at 75mph. Seems like an SXE362 would shine there compared to a VGT, but maybe not?

Also, have you done anything with exhaust brakes on the VT365?

--Jeff
Old Tue, February 2nd, 2021, 08:41 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I'm personally a fan of leaving the VGT on, but just going with one that's a little bigger (depending on what model turbo you have now). I like the added boost a VGT achieves at low RPM, and it really doesn't affect the mid to upper RPMs if the vanes are properly controlled.

Lot of folks swap to a non-VGT setup with reasonable success, but many of those applications are for competition situations where spool time isn't a major consideration. On dedicated tow rigs where highway travelling is where most of the vehicle spends its time, swapping to a non-VGT may have some benefit. I'm just not sure it's worth the expense and aggravation.

This leads into your second question. We've done setups that use the VGT as an exhaust brake and it works quite well. Obviously, this would require you keeping the VGT setup versus swapping to a non-VGT.

I hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, February 2nd, 2021, 11:05 AM
Whopper

That does help! If I could use my vanes as an exh brake, that would be worth keeping the VGT for that reason solely.

Do you have an ETA for when something will be available, tune wise? Are you still in the beta testing phase or ready for me to try a tune out?

--Jeff