Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, April 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Whopper

TJ05FX4 is on a distinguished road
Default Error During Firmware Update...Gryphon Not Functioning Now

I just got my Gryphon today from a F150online member and placed my order for my custom tunes. I was going to install the Gryphon in the truck and at least use it as a gauge monitor for the time being, but I thought I would update the Firmware first.

I installed everything successfully, connected the Gryphon and it started the updates. About halfway through it came up with an error message that was there about a second and disappeared.

Now when I plug in the Gryphon to the PC, the error message is.

Version ID Error
"Unable to determine Gryphon Version. The Gryphon may be in Run mode, is currently set as a Stock Writer, or the memory is corrupted. "

Now its not doing anything. It lights up when its plugged into the truck or USB, but it won't even display anything at this point. The lights come on and that's about it.

I emailed Bill, but I was hoping to maybe get a quicker answer here.

Thanks
Old Tue, April 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I would pm Bill on this one also include WHO you bought it from. It would also be a good idea to get your numbers in your user cp(serial and hex code).

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, April 21st, 2009, 07:22 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I don't have an answer for you, but I have some questions, and then some steps to try.

First, what version of Windows are you using? XP, Vista or 64-bit Vista? Vista has known issues with the Pegasus drivers and 64-bit Vista won't work at all. If it's ordinary Vista, make sure you follow the instructions in the Pegasus manual that work around its hangups.

Next, when you plug the Gryphon into the PC, what do you see in the status bar at the bottom of the Pegasus window? Does it say "connected"? Do you see a Serial Number (S/N) in the lower right corner of the status bar? It's normal for the Gryphon to simply light up at this point and do nothing else.

If it shows "connected" and displays a Serial Number, try updating the firmware again. This is Updates->Gryphon Update Manager. Update the firmware if you can.

It is highly unlikely that the Gryphon will run on your truck if it has custom tunes loaded. It won't like your HEX code. To get around this, update your calibrations also, that should return it to "stock". Once at stock, it should recognize YOUR truck's HEX code and it should perform as advertised.

The steps I've outlined will not hurt anything, so give them a try. If you still have "no joy", you WILL have to get Bill's help. Hopefully, this will get you going so Bill will have more time to work on your tunes! (And they are shut down for that very reason this entire week).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, April 21st, 2009, 09:29 PM
Whopper

TJ05FX4 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I was thankfully able to get a phone call from Bill and he walked me through the process to get it corrected. He had to recalibrate it in some form. Somehow during the update the Gryphon lost some of its information and didn't reload it.

But thankfully its now in the truck and running fine I've updated earlier today my HEX and serial, so now its just a matter of waiting for the custom tunes
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Whopper Junior

Ballin STX is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issue and i cannot seem for bill to get back with me to help me.. i have sent him numerous email! How did you get in contact with him so quickley
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballin STX View Post
I am having the same issue and i cannot seem for bill to get back with me to help me.. i have sent him numerous email! How did you get in contact with him so quickley
Time out! You bought a used Gryphon too? You tried to update the firmware using Pegasus and partway through there was an error? Now it won't connect to Pegasus (or your truck)?

If this is the case, and you've tried the steps I outlined for TJ05FX4 and it's still not working, try sending Bill or Corey a PM. It would also help if you would put your personal data (such as your name, your unit's serial number and so on) in your User CP.

- Jack
Old Sun, April 26th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Whopper Junior

Ballin STX is on a distinguished road

For 1 chill out man, I had a edge brand new 2 years ago and then sent it to Bill to have the programming swapped out to the gryphon and then got it back but it has the wrong hex on it, So I got in contact with him and fixed that issuse but it still wasnt syncing up with my truck properly so i contacted him again but got no response and then 2 months later i got a response and he said he would be calling me after 5 that day to get me back in good shape. I never received a call and have called, sent numerous pm's, and email and have not gotten any response.. I am VERY patient and am not a picky person but I would love to finally have my programmer in working condition since this has been going on since december 2008.

I think everything bill has done is just amazing and I keep on referring people to him but I just want to be able to show people the difference it makes and i havent been able to since i cant get it working in my own truck.

-Jon
Old Sun, April 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM
PHP Groupie

Jon, don't worry yourself, I'm "chilled". I was just trying to figure out how to help you. When you said you had the "same issue", I was trying to nail down exactly what your issue is.

So, you DID NOT buy a used Gryphon, this is an Edge you had converted to a Gryphon. And it has not worked on your truck for over two months?

The problem was that initially the tunes were written for a different HEX code but that problem is now fixed? And, it still does not "sync" with your truck? Can you tell me what you mean by that? Pretend I'm stupid - just tell me in great detail the steps you go through and what happens when you try to install it.

Again, I notice you have not added your programmer's serial number, hex code or product model number to your User CP. If Bill had this information, he would be in a much better position to help you. Is there a reason you don't want to provide this information?

Finally, you say that Bill is essentially ignoring you, but that you think everything he has done is amazing? Am I the only one who can't make sense of this?

Bottom line, Jon - if you want to get your unit working, you're going to have to help us help you.

- Jack
Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

I e-mailed this thread to Bill and will try and have him address it tonight. Sorry, I'm useless on this one!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019