Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Closed Thread

Old Thu, January 13th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Whopper

mkehler is on a distinguished road

More on the issue; it seems to happen most at around 25-30mph, rpm around 1500-1600.

I also have noticed that at idle (it is also missing at idle), that the spark advance is not steady, it is constantly moving around from 11 to 18 degrees. This is cold, warmed up, been running for an hour, it doesn't matter. Definitely not good for a stable idle.

Matt
Old Sat, January 15th, 2011, 01:56 PM
08F150LARIET

lbjailer is on a distinguished road
Default Ticket #94

Can someone please have Bill look at my Trouble Ticket, #94? I need to know if it is safe for me to plug my Gryphon in. I purchased a tune change at the same time I entered a trouble ticket about rough running. Theres been no action, and now I'm afraid to plug in the Gryphon. I cut and paste the results of the data reading from my Gryphon and it doesn't look right.
Old Sat, January 15th, 2011, 05:15 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjailer View Post
Can someone please have Bill look at my Trouble Ticket, #94? I need to know if it is safe for me to plug my Gryphon in. I purchased a tune change at the same time I entered a trouble ticket about rough running. Theres been no action, and now I'm afraid to plug in the Gryphon. I cut and paste the results of the data reading from my Gryphon and it doesn't look right.
If you're asking, "Is it safe to plug the Gryphon into your truck?", the answer is YES. As long as all you do is plug it in, it simply acts as a monitor and cannot/will not modify anything in the PCM.

But if the question is, "Is it safe to program my truck?", I don't know. I'd have to know more about the "rough running" problem. Did you have it on all tunes? If it was just one tune, I'd stay away from that one unless you want to do more troubleshooting.

However, if there was never a question of getting the truck started after a tune, I can't imagine it would be dangerous to try a tune again. What did Bill tell you when the problem first surfaced?

- Jack
Old Sat, January 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM
08F150LARIET

Hi Jack,
2 days (October 28th) after I submitted the ticket it was replied to from Bill. At the same time I also purchased a new tune. Since then I have not heard anything. I know I can plug it in and just use it to monitor functions on the truck, but because of what the log says (see below), I don't want to risk programming a tune. Luckily I had returend to stock.

Here is what my data reteivel says about the Gryphon.

The file -> stock_0.bin <- was not located.

The file -> stock_cs.bin <- has been stored as:
C:\Program Files\Power Hungry Performance\Pegasus Update Client\Data\1863_2010-12-27_12-55-13_stock_cs.egc

The file -> level1_0.bin <- was not located.

The file -> level2_0.bin <- was not located.

The file -> level3_0.bin <- was not located.

The file -> custom.bin <- was not located.
Old Sat, January 15th, 2011, 06:20 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'll see if I can get something off my Gryphon to validate what you got. At the moment, we're about to go out the door, so it will be tomorrow before I get back to this.

- Jack
Old Sat, January 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM
08F150LARIET

thanks
Old Sun, January 16th, 2011, 09:39 AM
PHP Groupie

OK, lb - I connected my old Gryphon to my PC, hit [Utilities]->[Read Critical Files], and this is what I got:
The file -> vid.bin <- has been stored as:
C:\Program Files\Power Hungry Performance\Pegasus Update Client\Data\1047_2011-01-15_17-13-36_vid.egc

The file -> stock_0.bin <- has been stored as:
C:\Program Files\Power Hungry Performance\Pegasus Update Client\Data\1047_2011-01-15_17-13-36_stock_0.egc

The file -> stock_cs.bin <- has been stored as:
C:\Program Files\Power Hungry Performance\Pegasus Update Client\Data\1047_2011-01-15_17-13-36_stock_cs.egc

The file -> level1_0.bin <- has been stored as:
C:\Program Files\Power Hungry Performance\Pegasus Update Client\Data\1047_2011-01-15_17-13-36_level1_0.egc

The file -> level2_0.bin <- has been stored as:
C:\Program Files\Power Hungry Performance\Pegasus Update Client\Data\1047_2011-01-15_17-13-36_level2_0.egc

The file -> level3_0.bin <- has been stored as:
C:\Program Files\Power Hungry Performance\Pegasus Update Client\Data\1047_2011-01-15_17-13-36_level3_0.egc

The file -> custom.bin <- has been stored as:
C:\Program Files\Power Hungry Performance\Pegasus Update Client\Data\1047_2011-01-15_17-13-36_custom.egc
This programmer has two custom tunes in Levels 1 and 2 and a canned tune at Level 3. As everyone sees, there are files for each level and a "custom" file.

So, I brilliantly conclude, lbjailer, that the code in your Gryphon is corrupt. (I'm being sarcastic here - it doesn't take a mental giant to see this, does it?)

Here's what I'd like you to try - I can't see how it will hurt anything:
1. I want you to return your Gryphon to the "canned" state. Please connect it to Pegasus and click on [Updates]->[Gryphon Update Manager] and apply both the firmware and calibration updates.
2. If that process seems to go smoothly, click on [Updates]->[Custom File Download] and apply anything you are offered there. This should reinstall your custom tune(s).
You should be using Version 2.02.0828 of Pegasus for this. If your version of Pegasus is old, it should try to update itself once you start it (if you're connected to the internet).

Now that you've gotten through all this, try the [Utilities]->[Read Critical Files] process again. Since you won't have a "stock" tune stored anymore (it gets stored in your first programming session), that file may not be found, but I think the others should be. If they are, you should be good to go.

Let us know what happens. If you get confusing results, Bill will have to get involved and I'll do my best to get his attention.

- Jack
Old Sun, January 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM
08F150LARIET

Thanks, I will try again. I need to get my HEX code into the Gryphon, so I will try to see if it will load (save) my stock tune, and not make any changes to the ECU, then plug it in to Pegasus.
Old Sun, January 16th, 2011, 12:09 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjailer View Post
Thanks, I will try again. I need to get my HEX code into the Gryphon, so I will try to see if it will load (save) my stock tune, and not make any changes to the ECU, then plug it in to Pegasus.
I don't think you will get the hex code into the Gryphon until you do your first programming session.

If I'm right, what you might try is:
Restore the canned tunes and then program your truck to the Level 1 transmission tune (no customizations). This will also store your stock tune into the Gryphon.

Return your truck to stock and THEN connect the Gryphon back to Pegasus to proceed.
- Jack
Old Sun, January 16th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I don't think you will get the hex code into the Gryphon until you do your first programming session.

If I'm right, what you might try is:
Restore the canned tunes and then program your truck to the Level 1 transmission tune (no customizations). This will also store your stock tune into the Gryphon.

Return your truck to stock and THEN connect the Gryphon back to Pegasus to proceed.
- Jack
What he said.