Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Whopper

txarsoncop is on a distinguished road

There is "straight" sewer pipe that is schedule 20 PVC, usually used for septic systems. It's gonna half to 2/3s thinner than schedule 40 and much more flexible. It may be flexible enough to squeeze into the oblong shape in the inner fenders. If it couldn't be squeezed into fitting in the hole you wouldn't have enough material to shape it into fitting though.

Ya'll gotta keep in mind that these Lowes, Home Depot folks generally aren't "from the trade" so they might not be familiar with the products and/or what their intended purposes are.

FWIW, my local Lowes had the PVC test caps that AgentOrange used in his build. I used a 2" and a 1.5" test cap. Need to go back and get a 1" plug for the other hole.

I'll post a couple of pix when i get the plug but I've trimmed the rims off the caps & I'll do the same to the plug along with cutting it short so it doesn't project so far into the intake's air stream. Gives it a pretty clean look.

bill
the new guy

Last edited by txarsoncop; Fri, March 20th, 2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Plug size needed to be smaller...
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

jimmyv13 is on a distinguished road

The guy at Lowe's told me to not screw with the intake on any vehicle "the manufacturer builds them like that for a specific reason"...after I told him what I was doing with it. I said, "Well, my reasons are different than Fords". He didn't offer much help.
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Whopper

Oh yeah, I wouldn't tell them anything like that because you might end up with some hard core enviromentalist or something. I always leave it vague and tell them it's for a "project i'm doing..."

bill
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I can only imagine the look on the dude's face!!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Not a Whopper

kd4crs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
I might be confusing the two different types of pipe here. Is there a difference in the white and black pipes? When I went to Lowe's the DWV stuff they showed me was corrugated and flexible. They didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for a rigid DWV pipe, much like the white PVC, but in black.
The main difference is what it is made out of. The black pipe I used is ABS and is labeled DWV on the roll stamping. PVC should work as long as the outside diameter is the same. I have not tried PVC myself, though.

Last edited by kd4crs; Sat, March 21st, 2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Whopper

Default DWV vs. sch. 40

Since I've been following this mod here and at F150online I can't remember which thread it was mentioned in...

DWV in ABS should be dimensionally identical to schedule 40 PVC.

DWV fittings in PVC will fit sch. 40 pipe & fittings, they're just not rated for pressure; hence their classification as Drain/Waste/Vent.

The reason some of you can't find black ABS piping is because either state, county or city codes don't allow for it. The only advantage to ABS pipe (other than being black already) is that it is cheaper than PVC. But similar to schedule 20 PVC it is not as durable as sch. 40 so many codes do not allow for it.

For the small amount of pipe/fittings being used you might as well use PVC if you can't readily find ABS and not sweat it. A little flat black paint and it'll look like ABS...

bill
Old Sat, March 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM

I got all of the parts today. SCH 40 PVC works with the downspout connector perfectly. If March Madness would go away, I'd have this done tonight, but it's looking more towards a tomorrow morning project.
Old Mon, March 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM

Got it all installed...It's probably in my head, but the intake "noise" sounded louder.

I'm thinking a PHP sticker on there is in order!!! Hopefully it would mesh nicely with my Gryphon and new catback.
Old Mon, March 23rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Whopper

That's the only thing I miss... I got a bit of intake noise but nothing like what you get with an aftermarket CAI.

I grew up on carbureted engines, I WANT to hear that intake roar when I go WOT!!! The Volant I had on my '99 F150 w/5.4 was delicious! Sounded almost like the '76 'Burban 4X4 400 w/Holley 4 bbl I drove in high school... and $.68/gallon gas to boot!

2005 Screw 4x4 Lariat - mostly stock

1964.5 Mustang - not stock
Old Mon, March 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
Got it all installed...It's probably in my head, but the intake "noise" sounded louder.

I'm thinking a PHP sticker on there is in order!!! Hopefully it would mesh nicely with my Gryphon and new catback.
Be prepared! When that sticker goes on it instantly adds 35 ponies!

Just kidding!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Tags
dwv intake mod