Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Cali Gestapo!

Caforddude is on a distinguished road

Yep the same codes.

I checked the dipstick like you said and there is no metal flakes in it NOR any grittiness.

Couple people I have talked to think that because there was a TSB on aftermarket oil filters that they claimed grittiness, did the oil change and called it a day simply clearing the codes without doing any ACTUAL diagnosis as to the real problem.

Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Cali Gestapo!

I do find it ironic, funny, something that the tech would say the oil was brown and gritty yet that didn't show up on ANY paperwork.

I would think that would certainly be note worthy if it had in fact happened. Leads me to believe more and more that the "brown gritty oil" statement made to me by the service writer was A) fabricated by him for an unknown reason or B) fabricated by the mechanic for whatever reason.

Noteworthy for no other reason the to work to deny a warranty claim..I'm sure the oil was instantly discarded in their oil tank and could in no way EVER be recovered to see it for our own eyes.

Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 07:11 PM
Cali Gestapo!

Welp the truck went into a NEW dealership today. Has been my second choice behind DREW for some time laziness prevented me fromtaking it there in the first place.

Service adviser called me at noon today saying she and the service manager had taken it for a test drive to see if the problem could be duplicated and her response was "OH MY GOD I DIDN"T KNOW IF WE WOULD MAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP"

They did some sort of "pinpoint" test she called it and determined there were no electrical issues. First thing in the morning they are going to pull the valve covers off and check a solenoid? to see if it is working. If that is the problem then a replacement and I'll be good to go. If not then appaerntly they tear the engine down enough to pull the cam phasers and cams?

Either way my truck has been there since about 10am and I have gotten 3 calls. One to let me know it got there ok, 1 to let me know the results of the test drive and 1 a few ago to let me know they finished the electrical testing and would be pulling the valves tomorrow. Total time on the phone with the service writer....About 3 minutes. Is that too much to ask?

Glad to see Customer service IS still alive.

I'll keep ya posted.

Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Sounds like you've found the right dealer! Good on you and good on them!

- Jack
Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Okay did anyone at any time perform a viscosity test on the oil?

Fords are some of the pickiest vehicles on the market for needing the right oil.
Put the wrong stuff in either wrong weight or vicosity and you will eventually end up with problems.

Our engines are grand kids to the GT 40 and IRL.

On the heads the cams have hydralic timing dampeners. These allow the motor to have more torque on the low end. Putting a heavier oil in like 10w is enough to not allow the proper oil flow and so potential plugging of the tiny oil ports might happen or insufficient oil equals premature rapid acceleration of wear.
Maybe a newbee at walley world messed up to begin with. Put the wrong barrel on the wrong feed hose or maybe the wrong oil period.
Another thing to think of when getting oil for changing is to make sure it meets fords specs.
Another thought maybe bad cams or chains or sensors.
But I feel the viscosity test was important if that was the problem. Walley world would have had to foot the bill.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 08:55 PM
Cali Gestapo!

No testing of oil done as far as I know. First dealer changed oil and claimed "brown and gritty" but I am now doubting that claim. It does not show up on any paperwork or diagnosis. Nothing was made of the Fram oil filter it had on it either. Now it has fresh motorcraft oil and a motorcraft filter. If that was the problem I'm guessing it would be hard to prove or even confidently say that at this point.

Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If you brought a vehicle into the dealer here with those codes. The viscocity tests is one of their tried and true tests to get out of a warranty claim. But that is just one of their many process of elimination proceedures.

And to my understanding there is more people out there running the wrong weight or less than spec oil.

There are so many variables in this situation.

My rules on oil changes
1). I buy the oil and filter.
2). I do the change or bring it to a place where I supervise.
3). Viscosity tests are done on both new and used oil.
4). For whatever reason the vehicle never leaves my sight!!!
5). Anything dropped on floor gets inspected thoroly. If oil filter gets dropped that one is thrown, and another new one comes out of the box.
6) Always check dipstick for oil before departing service center.

Sounds kind of anal doesn't it. Sometimes other peoples mistakes will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Lars.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
Cali Gestapo!

I'll find out tomorrow what the dealership says.

Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Cali Gestapo!

So far they had it checked out electricaly on Monday and it checked OK. Tuesday they had a down day because of a prior, more pressing truck they had been waiting for parts to.

Today I guess they took the valve covers off.

Cam's look good, phasers look lined up. No scarring, chaffing or whatever on the heads. Said there is NO indication maintance or abuse is an issue. Service writer said "Heads don't lie"

They did find they have a loss of oil pressure somewhere, they are going to try and pinpoint tomorrow. Said the noise I heard was metal on metal from lack of lubrication due to a failure somewhere. Looking at the oil pump I guess tomorrow. Service writer said it could be it failed/failing causing the low oil pressure. Funny thing is I NEVER got an idiot light and it always checked "OK" when I ran the onboard status check thing.

Said worst case scenario is a new engine, that was what they had to do last time she saw a similar situation. Best case scenario is oil pump and replace any associated parts.

Either way it is me and the Chevy Impala for at least a few more days.

Said she had every indication based on what she saw and has been told that this will be a warranty issue.

Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Hopefully this dealership will get you fixed up as good as new, sucks to read about all of the problems you have been having...good luck dude