Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 09:37 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caforddude View Post
They did find they have a loss of oil pressure somewhere, they are going to try and pinpoint tomorrow. Said the noise I heard was metal on metal from lack of lubrication due to a failure somewhere. Looking at the oil pump I guess tomorrow. Service writer said it could be it failed/failing causing the low oil pressure. Funny thing is I NEVER got an idiot light and it always checked "OK" when I ran the onboard status check thing.
There's a reason we call it the "Idiot Light"! It won't show a problem until about 5-8 psi. Can you imagine how much damage you can do with pressure that low? It's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caforddude View Post
Said she had every indication based on what she saw and has been told that this will be a warranty issue.
Glad to hear Ford is stepping up and fixing it. I know where you'll be going (not to mention recommending) from now.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Cali Gestapo!

Caforddude is on a distinguished road

I am cautiously optimistic....

They have some more tests to do tomorrow to figure EXACTLY what the problem is/was.

Just by chance they have a Ford engineer coming to the dealership tomorrow so they will get his input also.

What she said was that if she did not think this was going to be a warranty issue she would have asked for money before they went any further...

Like I said it ain't a done deal yet but...

Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 09:58 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

You are correct... I may have spoke out of turn. It's done when it's done. Until then, I remain optimistic like yourself.

I am intrigued as to what they find to be the cause of the oiling issue. Whether it's something in the pickup, pump, filter boss, or oil galleries, it's sure going to be interesting.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 10:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

But at least this dealership seems to know what they're doing. Not like the first one and I'm glad you have the receipt for the work done (or not done) there. I remain optimistic too.

- Jack
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Keep us posted.
Hope everything goes well.
Thanx for the updates.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, February 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Cali Gestapo!

Well the saga continues.

Call from the service writer today and she said they put the valve covers back on and put it back together so they could do some more tests. Said there is a definite oil pressure issue in the bottom end.

Said the PSI at the filter? was less then 20psi at idle and normal should be around 25psi?

They were going to call Ford back after lunch, tell them their findings and go from there...
sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4

Old Thu, February 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Just hang in there!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, February 28th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Cali Gestapo!

Ok been a few days so here is where I am right now. Service writer called friday around noon and said they had it all buttoned back up and finished up their testing. Said a couple of things.

1)did want service records because when they are looking at repairs of this magnitude Ford is going wo want to make sure someone has seen them to make sure regular maintance has been done. She also said her mechanic did not see any signs or evidence that the engine had been abused or improperly maintained. Said the service records thing is just a check box on their list of things to have/see/inspect or whatever. Not an issue because again there had been no evidence of any of that stuff. as she said "The heads don't lie". Told me they would be talking to Ford in the coming week.

This is where I get a little upset Not mad at the dealership mind you but more about the circumstances. The dealership is doing the best they can given the hand they have been dealt.
2) She told me they could not even start tearing down the truck until the week of the 24th, after they talked to Ford. I confirmed she meant March 24th and when she said yes I told her that was completly unacceptable. I told her there was no way I could afford to make my truck payment AND a rental car payment for that length of time. They would have to cover the rental car, or at least part of it if my truck was going to sit idle on their lot for 3-4 weeks. I told her if her shop was just too busy for one customer to monopolize that much of the shops time I would need to get it to a larger dealership with more mechanics available. I understand they are not a "Mega" dealership and I am not their oinly customer. She put me on hold for a minute or so and then came back. Said she had talked to her Service manager and he didn't like the situation either and would see what he could do. Agreed to call me back later.

3) She calls back later with "Good news" I'm not sure exactly what happened but she told me they were going to tear down on the 9th of March. Still not great but WAY better then 24th. Said she would still like me to get service records but it sounded like they had already talked to Ford and gotten approval. Her words to me were "If it was going to be denied we would have asked you for money and written permission to tear down your truck"
She said they still can not cover the rental car but when they submitted everything to Ford once it was done they were going to submit my rental car reciepts and request reimbursement for them also. In the mean time she told me I should call ford and pitch a fit that my rental car is not currently being covered because this is a warranty claim. Especially since I will prolly be in the rental car until AT LEAST the 16th depending on parts.

4) Said it could be the oil pump OR it could be something yet to be discovered. Either way fixing them involves getting into the bottom end of the engine so the time involved in that is about the same regardless of what is wrong at that point.

SO it's me and the Impala for a while longer. The impala is a nice car. Good size, nice power, nicely equiped, rides nice. I would reccomend it if someone was looking for a family car.

Old Wed, March 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Cali Gestapo!

Waiting for the teardown on march 9th...Meanwhile rental cars are expensive!

Old Thu, March 12th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Cali Gestapo!

I have been in limbo for a bit so I waited to update.

I got the news a few days ago that the engine was toast. It needed either a complete rebuild or a whole new engine.

Service writer said they had to call Ford to get approval and that prolly meant sending out one of their engineers to look it over. They had to get the final tear down done early this week and hoped to have the engineer out by Friday and a decision by Monday.

This morning the service writer called and said the ole good news/bad news. Good news was that Ford gave them the authorization for a brand new engine. The bad news is that it would take a few days to get and then a few more days to install. She said when she initally called Ford they said ahhhhh NOPE. Her service manager called back and did whatever it is he did and came back with an authorization number for a new engine.

She is supposed to call back with a few more details this afternoon, maybe I can persuade them to drop in a 6.4....

Anyway, needless to say I am happy with the news.

I had some friends ask me over the last week or so if I would buy another Ford if they denied my warranty claim and I said YOU BET. I still feel that Ford makes the best OVERALL truck on the market and would have a hard time seeing myself in another brand. They all have their good and bad points but I really like Ford. I use the "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" analogy to them. Every brand has an issue at some point in time.