Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hidden Valley

F150 Man 4Eva is on a distinguished road
Default ? about towing with the Gryphon

I was just wondering today, when I haul a substantial load (like my boat or something) if I running my tow tune..should I ever have to mess with O/D? I actually rarely ever turn off my over drive, but I was just curious. Seems like with the programmer, I should really never have to mess with it. Also, seems like I read some where that you do not want to haul anything while running the Perf. tune. Is this true, and if so how much is to much to haul while running Perf.? Say I have a ton in the bed, is that too much?
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 Man 4Eva View Post
I was just wondering today, when I haul a substantial load (like my boat or something) if I running my tow tune..should I ever have to mess with O/D? I actually rarely ever turn off my over drive, but I was just curious. Seems like with the programmer, I should really never have to mess with it. Also, seems like I read some where that you do not want to haul anything while running the Perf. tune. Is this true, and if so how much is to much to haul while running Perf.? Say I have a ton in the bed, is that too much?
My understanding is that you still need to turn the O/D off when towing.

I believe Bill has said towing under 1000 lbs is okay on either the performance or tranny only tune.

1 ton is 2000 lbs right? I would use the tow tune.

Hopefully Jack or Lars will confirm my best guesses.

EDIT: Did you read this forum: http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/towing/

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Hidden Valley

F150 Man 4Eva is on a distinguished road

Oh, I guess I thought wrong. I tow moderate loads, my current boat can't be more than 4,000 or so, but I never turn off O/D while towing it. And yes 2,000lbs is a standard ton. I guess it's better safe than sorry..might as well turn it to tow with any weight. I will be taking a trip from Charleston SC to SnowShoe WV in Feb and I will be loaded with clothing, gear, coolers, etc. and 3 or 4 people...I guess I will be running the Tow tune on that trip
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 09:07 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Shotgun and F150 Man, here's what Bill has said about towing:

Anything below about 2000# is probably all right in any tune. More than that and you DO want to use a "towing" tune. It has a slightly richer mixture, which helps to keep things cooler and the shift points are set to minimize strain on the transmission.

I generally leave my O/D ON as long as the transmission is not constantly shifting between 3 & 4 or the Torque Converter is not constantly unlocking and locking back up. Basically, you want to keep the "activity" in the transmission at a minimum. I'll also lock out the O/D when descending long hills to use engine braking.

If the hills are really steep (up or down) I put the transmission in 2nd.

If your boat is 4000#, DO use the tow tune. Let the transmission tell you what to do about O/D (there's no point in wasting gas if the load is low in a level cruise).

I monitor CHT, TFT, Comm Gear, and Batt Voltage when I tow. Seeing the status of the TC and transmission gear that's commanded helps me decide on which gear to use and the battery voltage is because I'm charging two trailer batteries and a DC refrigerator in addition to the truck's battery. I was able to tell that I'd blown the trailer battery charging fuse this way.

For what it's worth, I actually think the tow tune is a pretty good "all around" tune.

And, Shotgun was correct in directing you to the Towing forum. There's some good information in there. Have a good trip!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer