Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, March 13th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Whopper Junior

CRJ Pilot is on a distinguished road
Default Best Tune for Lifted Trucks - Placing order tonight

Im about to place my order for a Gryphon. Right now Im rolling on 35s and plan on going back to 37s eventually on my 08 FX4. My main concern is keeping the tranny as efficient as possible. Would a tow or performance tune be best suited for my truck? And would highway or city driving be a factor? Ideally id like to try out the canned tunes before ordering a custom tune since it takes a few weeks to receive the customs. Will it cost more to wait a week after getting the Gryphon to order a tune or two? I want to place my order tonight, so a quick answer would be appreciated! Again, my main concern is making the truck as efficient as possible with maximum tranny life. Huge power gains are not necessarily needed.

Im leaning towards this this setup:

0 = Stock
1 = 87 Perf
2 = 87 Tow
3 = Tranny Only

Maybe something else would better suit my needs?

Thanks
Old Sat, March 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Some people have reported better mileage gains from the tow tunes because they are designed to have more torque, useful for turning large heavy tires. Tell Bill what your driving habits are like and he will make that tune match. The easiest way to keep the tranny running efficiently is to regear the axles so that the tranny doesn't have to work as hard.
Old Sat, March 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Whopper Junior

Im going to re-gear, just not now because I need to buy a piece of GM, a foreclosed mortgage or somebody else's healthcare instead as the IRS awaits for my check to go out this week...

Im not worried about mpgs, just efficient shifts. I dont tow, on the weekends haul a Honda CRF450 in the back and drive like an old man. With no tunes, my transmission is all over the place (if not careful) which cant be good long term. 35's and 3.73s will be fine with a good tune. MPGs will naturally go up with efficient shifts.

Can I remark my order to hold off on what custom tunes I want? That way I can place my order tonight, get the free shipping and wait until the office is open to speak with them about specifics? It sounds like the tunes are a long wait which is fine, I just need the Gryphon itself ASAP for a road trip. Besides, the bill doesnt come until the office is open...
Old Sat, March 13th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Forum Predator

Ok, well you can fix the funky shift points as soon as you get the gryphon by correcting the tire size. I'm gonna give them a holler because I'm sure it can be arranged.
Old Sat, March 13th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Whopper Junior

Im just going to order tonight and discuss tunes when I get the bill. Thanks for the responses
Old Sat, March 13th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Forum Predator

Yeah, dont worry, you'll have time. Make sure you have as much info in your User CP as possible. It will make things easier for Bill or Corey to help.

Last edited by Longshot270; Sun, March 14th, 2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old Sun, March 14th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Whopper Junior

Order form sent!
Old Sun, March 14th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Forum Predator

Great! You wont regret it.
Old Sun, March 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Forum Predator

Also dont forget that they reopen on the 15th. You need to talk to Bill to explain. Did you still have a custom tune listed on your order form? If you dont make arrangments to have it done early on with the original package it could cost $60 per tune.
Old Sun, March 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Whopper Junior

I chose the one custom tune option but left the level selections as stock. I remarked that Id like to discuss tuning options prior to selecting a tune or two... Getting the Gryphon ASAP is the priority. Initially I wasnt going to purchase a Gryphon as I thought the programmer itself had to be custom tuned and it could be 2 months without both. I can live with a programmer and canned tunes for a while. It says that the phones are closed this week... As long as the Gryphon gets shipped this week and I dont have to pay extra for a custom tune due to the office and phones being closed for the past/upcoming week Im cool.