Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, March 24th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Whopper

widieseltech is on a distinguished road
Default 7.3l gryphon questions before ordering

hey im new to the forum but i just had some questions about the gryphon tuner before i order mine. I see that they limit you to three tunes is there any way to get more on the chip, like maybe four? next questions, is ther a way to have three tune and a stock setting also, like by just turning the tuner off and it going back to a stock setting and then when you turn it back on have three tunes to choose from? i just dont want to use one of the three positions for a stock setting and the only be able to have two tunes. do the gryphon tuners come with a piller mount or something to mount it in the truck and do they need to be painted gray? any info would be great thanks
Old Wed, March 24th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Hey there and welcome!

I'm not the expert on the Gryphon, but I think your limited to 3 calibrations, and stock would need be one of those positions if you were to choose to have stock as one of your settings. I will say that it seems to me like perhaps your in the market for a Phoenix chip over the Gryphon? A Phoenix chip would give you up to 6 positions. Stock could be a position but is a no cost calibration. If your thinking about using the Gryphon as a gauge, I will say that a lot of 7.3 owners do a 6-position with analog gauges on the pillar. Part of the reason is that we process analog gauges better than a digital readout.
Old Wed, March 24th, 2010, 09:44 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I'm going to agree with Thomas on a lot of his points.

To answer a few of your questions.
  • Yes, you can get a Gryphon for your truck that will include the digital gauge.
  • Yes, you can get a Gryphon with three programs loaded on it. You still have the capability to program the truck back to stock so in essence, you really do have 4 tunes in the end.
  • The gryphon is NOT a "turn it on and off" kind of product. It actually reprograms the truck's powertrain computer for each separate tune. It takes time to actually change the programs (5-8 minutes at times) and they can only be changed while the truck is not running. Once a calibration is loaded into the PCM, it is there ALL THE TIME until the Gryphon is used to reprogram it to a different setting.
  • The display pod SHOULD come with the Gryphon. It will be black and can be painted to match the interior.

Now, to add to what Thomas said, the Phoenix module (or FU package) is usually preferred by most people because of it's "shift on the fly" capability. This means that one of up to six calibrations can be selected at any time (instantly!!) while driving to best suit the conditions at hand. There is no waiting and there is no fuss. On the downside, there are no gauges included with the Phoenix module. A pyrometer (EGT gauge) is an absolute necessity and requires a thermocouple probe to be mounted in the exhaust manifold. Similarly, the Gryphon will also require the same procedure to render the EGT monitoring function operational.

The human brain much more easily recognizes analog needle movement as there is a comparitor. The brain can interpret an actual point in relation to a maximum point much more easily on a gauge face rather than trying to read a digital readout and mentally compare it to where that point is in relation to a value that is not seen.

It's personal preference, but I hope that this information helps you out.
Old Wed, March 24th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Whopper

widieseltech is on a distinguished road
Default 7.3l gryphon tune

thanks for the info so far its great, i have been debating between the phonix or the gryphon and the only reason im leaning more towards the gryphon is because i dont really need a shift on the fly chip i dont mind waiting for it to load, im used to it thats what i had to do with the hypertech on my last truck. and i just dont want to spend the money on guages and a chip when i could get it all in one and mount it on my piller i'd really just like the 40 tow, 80e and the 100hp or 120hp race for fun i dont really need 6 tunes if php offered a chip guage combo i might consider it. my trucks a 2000 f250 ccsb i got a 3in lift with 35''s and MBRP cool duals so far and i dont really need a crazy chip, i just want better mileage and so extra power to tune those big tires and some added power for towing. so is the display pod mount the piller mount or just the one that mounts on the corner of the dash?
Old Wed, March 24th, 2010, 10:48 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Corner of the dash.
Old Fri, March 26th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Go Gators!!

bigsakius is on a distinguished road

I have the gryphon for my 7.3l and to reiterate some of what was said, it does come with 3 tunes plus your stock which equals 4. It does come with a dash mount pod. Mine was already colored to match my tan interior, and it is capable to be used for gauges including egt. BTW it comes with a thermocoupler probe as well so you don't have to get anything else with this unit. I was in the same boat as yourself and went with the gryphon and it works great for me oh ya as a bonus you can read dtc codes too
06 330i 3.0 not Turbo (Wife's)
Old Fri, March 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Thank you very much for your input, Tej.

Those of us who don't know are grateful to those with the experience!