Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 09:50 AM
281 CI's of Punishment

4.6 Punisher is on a distinguished road
Default 87 performance shift firmness

I'm hoping this will get the attention of Corey or Bill, but any help is appreciated. I've been using my 87 performance tune for a couple of months now and I've wanted to increase the shift firmness. I used to ride around with a 12 12 10 setting back when it was still an Edge. I there any way to tell what the setting is now?
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Did you specify the values in the order form? How do the shifts feel in comparison to the old settings from the custom tune? You can always go into the custom options menu and adjust it. Are you wanting the shifts firmer or softer?
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 12:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Sounds like he wants to make it firmer, Longshot.

But, to the OP, there's no way for you to tell what the setting is. All you'll see are "zeros", which represent the "tuned" settings. They are certainly firmer than stock, but that's about all we can say. I don't know if Bill makes them firmer than the "canned" tune settings (which are also firmer than stock) though.

Please understand, the "firmness" settings represent a time change in the interval between clutch release in the old gear and clutch lockup in the new gear. The interval is measured in milliseconds and each number in the firmness setting is a percentage change in that delay.

So, if the "zero" value delay in your 1-2 shift was 500 milliseconds in your canned tune, your +12 setting reduced it by 60, making the new delay 440 ms.

SMALL changes shouldn't hurt anything, but I'd be reluctant to increase the first two much above 10% and the third should be less. If you make the interval too small, you put sudden, sharp stress on the drivetrain. If the interval is too long, the clutches wear more quickly.

Bill has balanced these two conflicting results in his custom tunes, so just don't make big changes. You really DO NOT want to feel a hard "kick" in a shift, because that is stressing things. The shift should be smooth and positive, with no "dragged out" feeling.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 03:53 PM
281 CI's of Punishment

I didn't specify what values I set them at previously, but I have been running them at 5 5 3 in case he did firm them up.
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Forum Predator

Are you just guestimating on the shift firmness or have you gone through and found values that you think feel to your liking? You dont have to adjust the shift firmness.
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 05:51 PM
281 CI's of Punishment

Nope, haven't found what the custom tune firmness is set at. I figured that 5 5 3 would be safe if he did firm them up, but it's still not as firm as when I had it set at 12 12 10. In your opinions, what would be the best firmness to set it at for a good sporty feel without stressing out the drivetrain?
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Forum Predator

Have you tried 0-0-0? How did that feel?
Old Wed, June 30th, 2010, 01:21 AM
281 CI's of Punishment

Sloppy and sluggish.