Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, April 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Inbred Oregonian

orygunf150 is on a distinguished road
Default 87 performance custom vs. 93 canned

I've been running the 93 canned tune mostly since getting my Gryphon but fuel prices are beginning to creep back up and I'll probably go back to 87 octane before long. My question is, how does the 87 performance custom tune compare to the 93 performance canned tune? A few more questions on custom tunes...
Will a custom tune need to replace one of my current canned tunes?

Will a custom tune include include things like increased shift firmness, TC lock/unlock? Or will I need to go in and change these manually?
Old Fri, April 10th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Double Whopper

axlehead is on a distinguished road

I have been asking the same question about 87 Performance vs. the canned performance. Hopefully someone rolls through and gives us some insight.
Old Fri, April 10th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Double Whopper

Location: 2nd star to the right, straight on 'til morning(Ohio)
SubiGT is on a distinguished road

Same ?'s here. My 87Perf is already on order.
Old Fri, April 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by orygunf150 View Post
I've been running the 93 canned tune mostly since getting my Gryphon but fuel prices are beginning to creep back up and I'll probably go back to 87 octane before long. My question is, how does the 87 performance custom tune compare to the 93 performance canned tune? A few more questions on custom tunes...
Will a custom tune need to replace one of my current canned tunes?

Will a custom tune include include things like increased shift firmness, TC lock/unlock? Or will I need to go in and change these manually?
Okay I will try my best here!

1. The difference between the canned 93 and custom 87 is that; the 93 canned is a well proven generic tune based on a few parameters and stock configuration only(no mods)

The 87 custom is based on more parameters and also takes into the consideration of mods. Also gets better mpgs.

2. The number of memory slots in the gryphon is 4. 1 slot is always dedicated to the stock program whereas the other 3 can be canned or custom.

3. The custom tunes Bill does are based on mods, tires size and gears. Whatever you put on your order form is going to become part of the custom tune. You can go back into custom options menu and change items if you want.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, April 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Whopper Junior

johnnycool is on a distinguished road

I ran the 93 canned and I now have the 87 preformance, I think the custom 87 is far better, you can feel the boost over the whole powerband, and custom has a lot more on the low size as well. Also them only gas milage gain I noticed with the canned 93 was a faster recovery, with the custom I am geting the same fast recovery but am seeing about 2mpg better, and is with the bleanded gas
Old Sat, April 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

And, just to add more confusing information: Bill can always write you a custom 91 or 93 octane performance tune too! I'm certain it would work even better than the "canned" 91+ octane tune. Possibly, it would improve fuel economy enough to justify use of the more expensive gas.

And, of course, if you tow and want to use the expensive stuff, Bill can write you a 91 or 93 octane towing tune too.

So, if you'd like to "experiment", you can for the cost of a tune.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer