Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Double Whopper

dave-m is on a distinguished road
Default A couple of Gryphon questions

I'm loving my Gryphon and the longer I have it the more my curiosity is raised on a couple of things.

AVG mpg - what is the range that this is averaged over?

Tow tune characteristics - when using the tow tune, one of the things I notice that is different than the stock setup is when on the highway and the elevation starts to drop, previously I let off the gas and just coasted. With the tow tune I can feel the truck slowing down more than before. Is that something to do with the torque converter settings or am I just dreaming it?
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-m View Post
I'm loving my Gryphon and the longer I have it the more my curiosity is raised on a couple of things.

AVG mpg - what is the range that this is averaged over?

Tow tune characteristics - when using the tow tune, one of the things I notice that is different than the stock setup is when on the highway and the elevation starts to drop, previously I let off the gas and just coasted. With the tow tune I can feel the truck slowing down more than before. Is that something to do with the torque converter settings or am I just dreaming it?
The AVG MPG just keeps track of the mileage readings and averages them together. It will give you an idea of your mileage but unfortunately its not more accurate than the 'ol pen and paper.

Your right, the torque converter unlock point is probably lower than stock so you have to coast a little more for it to unlock.
Old Tue, January 12th, 2010, 06:55 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Dave, the Gryphon's AVG Econ is based on samples of the Inst Econ every second. It is the average of those readings up to a total of 100,000 readings using this formula: ((Current Average * Sample Count) + Current MPG) / (Sample Count + 1)

Once the count reaches 100,000, it no longer changes, so you can see that a new Inst Econ value will have very little effect. But if you reset to "zero", each Inst Econ value will have a much bigger effect. 100,000 samples is about four tankfuls of gas, so this is a pretty large sample space and it covers a lot of different driving conditions.

Still, I find the Gryphon's values to be "optimistic" compared to what I get using a "hand calculation" at fillup.

As far as the tow tune characteristics go, I have not seen what you describe. If I have the speed control engaged when towing, then yes, I get engine braking when going downhill (the Torque Converter tends to stay locked more). But, if I have the speed control disengaged, the TC will unlock almost as soon as I let off on the gas (and Bill said it's supposed to work this way for fuel economy).

In the NEW trucks, I understand when you put them into "Tow Mode" (something new) they provide engine braking going downhill.

I absolutely want engine braking when going down mountain slopes, whether I'm towing or not. I'll put my truck into 2nd gear to give me this if needed.

Hope this makes sense.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, January 13th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Double Whopper

dave-m is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys!