Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

twintips_17 is on a distinguished road
Default Any one heard of two towing tunes???

I know that the diesel guys have tunes for light heavy and moderate loads. I was thinking about when i order my tunes to order a tune that was for light loads under 3000#'s that will hold my shift points longer and hopefully wont hunt for gears as easily.

Then I was thinking about a tow tune for heavier loads so that I don’t hurt my transmission. I was thinking it would shift sooner.

I just hate hooking up to my aluminum boat and hitting the road at 75. Then any small hill or even sometimes driving into the wind will make it hunt when it usually hold overdrive just fine.

I hate getting 10 mpg's when i could get 14.

I tow with overdrive off anytime i think that the load is close to even thinking about hurting my transmission.

But I know that my 2500# boat or my 2000# snowmobile trailers won’t do it.

Would i be asking to much?????

Just a little back round.

I have 3.55's and 33's.

I know that thats a light gear and some what bigger tires. There not huge but there not helping.

SUPERcrew
AF1, EDGE, and EFANS with Magnaflow Exhast SISO.
Expy Console and Rear Seat Swap! Eagle 16's with 285-75/16 ST's
Gryphon Tuner soon to have custom tunes by PHP!
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 10:19 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I think, twintips, you have a good idea here. There's no reason in the world you could not have two towing tunes if you tow things that are wildly different. I asked Bill to customize my towing tune for my 3600 #, low profile trailer (a picture of it is in my Gallery), since the canned towing tune is for something bigger and with more wind resistance. I also told him the speed I would be trying to hold with it (65mph).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I think, twintips, you have a good idea here. There's no reason in the world you could not have two towing tunes if you tow things that are wildly different. I asked Bill to customize my towing tune for my 3600 #, low profile trailer (a picture of it is in my Gallery), since the canned towing tune is for something bigger and with more wind resistance. I also told him the speed I would be trying to hold with it (65mph).

- Jack
And it wored out fine for you? Do you feal it shift a lot.... Maybe prematurly?

SUPERcrew
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 01:36 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

It HAS worked fine. If you've read some of my other posts, I was thinking it was a little too eager to downshift, but that seems to have gone away when not towing since I played with the downshift and torque converter unlock settings. I havent towed the trailer yet, but we plan to take it on a trip at the end of the month and I'll see how it behaves. One thing I DO know, I got better gas mileage with the custom tow tune than I did with the canned tow tune.

- Jack
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
It HAS worked fine. If you've read some of my other posts, I was thinking it was a little too eager to downshift, but that seems to have gone away when not towing since I played with the downshift and torque converter unlock settings. I havent towed the trailer yet, but we plan to take it on a trip at the end of the month and I'll see how it behaves. One thing I DO know, I got better gas mileage with the custom tow tune than I did with the canned tow tune.

- Jack
See i dont get any of the downshift options or torque converter options with my tuner.... As of yet. Bill says they might be in the works for the 97-03 years. Have you heard of this?

SUPERcrew
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Yes, I have. Trouble is, Bill is so busy on other projects right now I don't see him getting to this "feature" in your year programmer for several months. I imagine though, if you could describe as precisely as possible what you are looking for (try to include the exact driving conditions - speed, slope of hill, weight being pulled, and a guess of throttle position if you can't monitor it) he'll try to rewrite your tunes to give you what you want.

You'd need to put this in a carefully composed email though. Not just talk about it in the forum.

- Jack
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Yes, I have. Trouble is, Bill is so busy on other projects right now I don't see him getting to this "feature" in your year programmer for several months. I imagine though, if you could describe as precisely as possible what you are looking for (try to include the exact driving conditions - speed, slope of hill, weight being pulled, and a guess of throttle position if you can't monitor it) he'll try to rewrite your tunes to give you what you want.

You'd need to put this in a carefully composed email though. Not just talk about it in the forum.

- Jack
Does bill take all his info off the tuning request form or does he talk to each person on an individual level? I guess i don’t know how this custom tuning works. I want to order this weekend at the sale price but i know they are very busy and probably won’t get to talking to me.

SUPERcrew
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintips_17 View Post
Does bill take all his info off the tuning request form or does he talk to each person on an individual level? I guess i don’t know how this custom tuning works. I want to order this weekend at the sale price but i know they are very busy and probably won’t get to talking to me.
He can do both. I filled out the tuning request, of course, and attached it to an email that I sent to them where I really tried to "put in words" what I was after. I even included a picture of my truck and trailer so he'd have a better feel for what I was asking.

- Jack
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
He can do both. I filled out the tuning request, of course, and attached it to an email that I sent to them where I really tried to "put in words" what I was after. I even included a picture of my truck and trailer so he'd have a better feel for what I was asking.

- Jack
Thanks a bunch Jack.

You have been a huge help to me and im sure to many other people on this forum. I will be ordering mine here later tonight and hopefully will be able to sell my edge by the end of next week

SUPERcrew