Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Double Whopper

SDRANGER619 is on a distinguished road
Default Any tips on how to keep the Gryphon operating correctly

Hey all,

Just got my Gryphon operating again, and intend on keeping it like that. Supposedly the cable is very delicate and will go bad.

Is there any tips on how to keep this device up and running and not have the issues I've experienced in the past?
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

In a nutshell:

1) Do not use jumper cables or charge the battery with the OBDII cable connected.

2) Always disconnect the OBDII cable when disconnecting the battery for any reason.

3) If you start noticing the device restarting overnight (meaning the device is on when you get in the truck in the morning) then this is a sign of a battery problem and should be addressed as quickly as possible. In the meantime, disconnect the device to avoid any further battery drain when the vehicle is off and also avoid any possible damage cause by the alternator spiking the electrical system to charge the weakened battery. The battery acts as a large capacitor and stabilizes the electrical system. If the battery is weak, it loses its effectiveness as a capacitor.

4) Always turn the key to the ON position BEFORE reconnecting the OBDII cable. This allows the programmer to identify the ECM correctly. (This goes for ALL programmers!)

That's really about it.

Enjoy!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRANGER619 View Post
Hey all,

Just got my Gryphon operating again, and intend on keeping it like that. Supposedly the cable is very delicate and will go bad.

Is there any tips on how to keep this device up and running and not have the issues I've experienced in the past?
I think you have the Gryphon for pre-04 model trucks? If so, the cable seems very easily damaged by voltage surges, either high voltages or low voltages. So, about the best advice is to keep a healthy battery in your truck and if you have to disconnect it, disconnect the Gryphon first. Likewise, if you need to have your truck "jumped" or if you jump someone else's vehicle, disconnect the Gryphon before you connect any cables. Don't reconnect the Gryphon until the battery is back in a normal state and you have the ignition on.

Beyond that, I don't have any advice.

And, I see Bill beat me to it with a much more detailed explanation. Good on ya, Bill!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
And, I see Bill beat me to it with a much more detailed explanation. Good on ya, Bill!

- Jack
Hey, I gotta start catching up on my post count. It's sad that I still haven't hit 3000 yet.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Double Whopper

SDRANGER619 is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks guys, you are always very helpful!
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Double Whopper

superdutynick is on a distinguished road

When should the programmer be disconnected (vehicle running or key on/off)?
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Ideally, shut the key off, let the display power off (this saves any settings), and then disconnect.

(678) 890-1110

Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 08:42 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I'll add that if there's Any electrical work where there's a possiblity of a wire shorting follow Bill's advice....especially the 97-03 f150's.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.