Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > 6.0L PSD FICM Reprogramming

6.0L PSD FICM Reprogramming Power Hungry Performance 6.0L FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) programming has been
the industry standard for in FICM modification almost 10 years.

If you have questions or would like more information about the benefits, please post here.

Old Wed, May 5th, 2010, 09:45 PM
electro-mechanical geek

eabrust is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone running Swamps Hot FICM or a DIY 58V FICM?

Hi all,
Just wondering if there is anyone that is currently running a 58V FICM, be it from Swamps or a DIY job, does it throw a P0611 code for you?

I have a full stock FICM (no mod to power supply, and Ford flash), and a Full Modified FICM (58V diy mod, and PHP tune).

When I got my Gryphon back and read codes, I relized I had the P0611 'FICM dying' code (no CEL on, but code pulled). After clearing it I decided to determine what caused the code. My full stock FICM does not trigger the code. I put in the modified FICM, and it throws the code.

So then I split the two FICMS, put the PHP tuned board on the 48V stock power supply, I get no code. I put the stock Ford board on the 58V modified power supply, I get a code. Then I pulled out the 58V mod from the power supply, and I get no code. So the code only appears when there is 58V on the FICM, and it has nothing to do w/ the strategy/tune on the FICM.

I assume the code is a result of the 58V falling outside of a range that the FICM is expecting (say 45V to 51V max as a guess), and the code is really meaningless in this case (high is OK, low is death for injectors). Just curious, if anyone has a Swamps moded FICM, and if you don't get a P0611 code, does that mean the FICM strategy is tweaked to expect the higher voltage and not throw a code?

In case anyone is wondering performance wise or why I did it, I did the mod to see if it would make my cold startup issue w/ tuned FICM less severe or go away. I'd say it helped a bit and reduced the amount of time/temperature my truck had to get to to run right, but didn't eliminate rough cold starts. After the truck was warm, w/ tuned FICM @58V, and running a 100HP PHP tune, the truck was an absolute beast! (first time I've ever smoked the tires, and wasn't really trying to).

I'll be running stock FICM again for a bit till I get an idea if the 58V and P0611 is a common occurrence for others and nothing to worry about.

thanks,
Eric
EGR deleted
Bypass coolant and oil filters
4" Turboback
Old Thu, September 9th, 2010, 11:25 PM
SICKS LITER RACING

SICKS-O is on a distinguished road

i have the 58v ficm mod done to my 06 and get that code as well.
the description for p0611 is pretty vague even in fords literature.

following the FICM guide p0611 is described as:

1)FICM memory fault will set if a RAM or ROM fault exists.
2)Loss of FICM Power.
3)Other internal FICM failure.

im thinking that there must be a threshold for min and max output voltage for the ficm and if the voltage goes above or below that threshold then p0611 will be set, which would be along the lines of "other internal ficm failure"

ive tried a few different ficm calibrations in my ficm and p0611 is always there since the 58v mod.

got a weird ficm story, which is what lead me to resoldering and modding my ficm.
the FICM in my truck is the original one and has 3900hrs125000miles on it, last fall i had to replace my batteries due to the stockers going bad. after the batteries died on me several times when trying to start the truck. one day my injectors no longer cycled when the ignition was turned on and i thought "great, complete long block was just installed by ford less than a year ago and now the injectors are already crapping out". we replace and program alot of ficms at our shop and the symptoms for a bad ficm are usually pretty clear, misfires, rough run when cold, after doing some diagnostics we find several injector circuit codes, p0611, truck wont pass injector electrical self test, ficm M power well below acceptable.
funny thing is my 06 had zero codes and would pass injector electrical self test but after monitoring the FICM M power pid with the engine cold and ignition key cycled on FICM M power would drop right down to 30 volts. after waiting for the glow plug light to go out the truck would fire right up, haze a little more white smoke then i was used to but that was it, ficm output voltage would climb up to 40+ volts at idle after the engine was warm.

trucks strategy was vxcf5h5 at that point in time and the ficm cal id was arz2al01.

after disecting the FICM i found 2 of the 4 resistors with broken solders making no connection, after carefully resoldering them the output voltage was steady at 48 like it should be, even after sitting overnight in 30* weather on initial ignition key cycle. injectors also cycled like new once again. and truck ran better. i took the ficm apart once again and did the 58v mod, lol and now i constantly get the p0611 code, so thats my story, no DTCs with failing ficm, but now dtc with repaired/modded ficm, these trucks can be so much fun to diagnose.
Old Sat, September 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM
electro-mechanical geek

eabrust is on a distinguished road

Thanks for chiming in that you get the code when running at 58V also.

I had a hunch it was meaningless and just due to being 'overvoltage'... but I still pulled that mod out and have been running stock 48V for the time being.

Maybe I'll put it back in, but solely on my PHP tuned FICM that isn't running any inductive heat.

Eric
EGR deleted
Bypass coolant and oil filters
4" Turboback
Old Sat, September 11th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Whopper

cartmanea is on a distinguished road

You could use a different resistor for the mod and have it be 52-53V instead, that probably wouldn't set the code. 58V from 48V is 21% increase, seems a bit excessive to me, but 10% is reasonable.