Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sun, February 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Whopper

MO05SD is on a distinguished road
Question ECM Questions

I have a ECM that is out of a 2005 F-250 6.0 auto. transmission that sounds to be the same basic truck as mine. The tag # on this module is 5C3A-12A650-KYC. The ECM module in my truck has a tag # of 5C3A-12A650-KNB and has been updated to the VXCF9N4 strategy. I purchased a Gryphon CTS that I'm currently running the canned tunes until I can round up the money for custom tunes and rollbacks.

My questions are:

1- If I return my truck back to stock. Can I swap this ECM for my present ECM and check to see what strategy it is programmed with ?

2- Will I be able use the Gryphon CTS to check the strategy ?

3- If it is a more desirable strategy to run, will I be able to use the Gryphon CTS and this strategy in the ECM become my new stock configuration and saved on the Gryphon ?

From the research I have done. These 2 ECM tag #are compatible. If you have any other information. Please let me know. I'm still a newbie and trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks in advance.

MODS:
PHP FICM with Hybrid Programming,
Sinister EGR Cooler Delete,AIRAID CAI,Zoodad Mod,
Coolant Filter,4" Turbo Back Exhaust, Hi-Idle Mod,
Updated Fuel Pressure Regulator Spring,Banjo Bolt Mod.,
Gryphon CTS & 5 Custom PHP Tunes
SCT & 4 Custom Tunes
Old Mon, February 21st, 2011, 12:27 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

Responces in Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO05SD View Post
I have a ECM that is out of a 2005 F-250 6.0 auto. transmission that sounds to be the same basic truck as mine. The tag # on this module is 5C3A-12A650-KYC. The ECM module in my truck has a tag # of 5C3A-12A650-KNB and has been updated to the VXCF9N4 strategy. I purchased a Gryphon CTS that I'm currently running the canned tunes until I can round up the money for custom tunes and rollbacks.

My questions are:

1- If I return my truck back to stock. Can I swap this ECM for my present ECM and check to see what strategy it is programmed with ? Yes

2- Will I be able use the Gryphon CTS to check the strategy ? Yes, go to menu, help, vehicle info.

3- If it is a more desirable strategy to run, will I be able to use the Gryphon CTS and this strategy in the ECM become my new stock configuration and saved on the Gryphon ? Yes you can, since your running the canned tunes, you should be able to program your new PCM.

From the research I have done. These 2 ECM tag #are compatible. If you have any other information. Please let me know. I'm still a newbie and trying to learn as much as I can. Yes do you know what kind of truck the new pcm came out of? You can run into issues with things like no ABS, or check engine lights for no MAF sensor(does you 05 have a MAF?)

Thanks in advance.
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Mon, February 21st, 2011, 05:19 PM
Whopper

Put in other ECM

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. Yours answers were the one's that I had thought were correct, but I was just wanting to get a more educated opinion.

I came home today from work and read your reply and decided to swap them around. The 2nd ECM has the following hex codes:

ECM: VXCF4D3 TCM: TQCJO2D

I started the truck and it seems to run fine. I still have have all the PIDS available that I had with the 1st ECM and so far it has not thrown any codes. I checked to see if any appeared. I'm getting ready to take it for a test drive to see if it acts different and shifts okay.

Is there a way of finding out by the hex codes what the differences are ? I believe I have read that the last two digits have to do with those. The 1st ECM has the following hex codes : ECM: VXCF9N4 TCM: TQCI1NA

If there are differences that would affect the truck's operation, is it possible to have them corrected with custom tunes ?

Yes my '05 does have the MAF sensor and it is one of the PID's I can choose and it does give readings when selected as a PID. Hadn't looked to see if ABS was showing on dash. Hopefully will know more after the test drive.

MODS:
SCT & 4 Custom Tunes
Old Mon, February 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

You won't see the ABS light turn on, but some XL trucks had 2 wheel ABS vs 4 wheel ABS. You may notice a different feel to the brake pedal when you switch to the other PCM if it is a 2 wheel ABS model.

Do you get a CEL for your EGR delete? With the old PCM vs the new?

Bill could tell us what the difference is between the "N4" vs the "D3", I don't have access to that information. Sorry.
Old Mon, February 21st, 2011, 09:51 PM
Whopper

I didn't notice a difference in the feel of the brakes. But on my test drive I was concentrating more on how the engine performance felt and the shifting of the transmission. I was also watching EGT,ECT,EOT, and TFT to be sure that there wasn't any unexpected increases.

I haven't gotten any codes at all since my EGR Delete. I left my EGR Valve in place. Neither ECM so far has given me any codes. I plan on driving it for a week or so on the stock level to see if anything arises before I attempt to run it on a canned tune.

Would the information Bill has access to be able to tell if there is a difference as far as the ABS being 2 wheel or 4 wheel on the original ECM compared to the 2nd ECM ?

I greatly appreciate all your help. Sorry if I seem to be asking a lot of questions, but I'm trying to become as informed as I can.

MODS:
SCT & 4 Custom Tunes
Old Fri, February 25th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Whopper

Phone Call from Bill with Answers

I got a phone call from Bill in response to an email I sent asking the differences and he told me that I had gotten the strategy with very minor differences to the strategy that he would have recommended to rollback to if I had ordered a ECM rollback. He also answered a few of my other questions.

The phone call was unexpected, but greatly appreciated. I had figured he would just send me an email reply in the next few days when he could squeeze it in. I will definitely talk with him again about getting the FICM reprogrammed and the custom tunes I'm interested in getting.

Thanks Again Bill if you happen to read this.

MODS:
SCT & 4 Custom Tunes