Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Mon, February 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowSTX View Post
All is great man. I first started with an 87 perf tune. No codes have ever popped up to this day. Now I have the 87 perf tune as well as an 87 tow and 93 perf. All tunes work great and having no codes is the best part. Bill does an amazing job and is also very helpful. You should also have no problem once you get your custom tunes, Bill knows what he is doing and is very good at it. Once you get past the long wait to get the Gryphon and tunes, (I waited at least 3 weeks 3 separate times myself), you will be very happy with the results.
Glad Bill got you going......

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, August 19th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Whopper Junior

JoeBiker is on a distinguished road
Default P061 musings

First my CS unit was defective and replaced by EDGE and is just over 2 months old.

I have been running the canned tow tune for 2 months (2007 xcab 4x4 4.6 l). I just changed gears from 3.55 to 4.10 and installed a true trac in the rear.

The shop drained my battery with the truck on the hoist. Good info to know since I was going to update the custom settings for the new gears and re-program.

So after charging the battery for 1.5 days , today I went into the custom settings and changed the tire size and gear ration on the CS.

For sure throttle response with the level 2 tow tune and no corrections for the gears was INSTANT.

I'm still running stock tires but according to the PHP calculator I needed to up the size by 1" as opposed to the data on the CS. ( I'm not sure if tire squish is built into the calculator).The CS had 3.73 set as factory default so I changed this to the new 4.10 ratio.

Then I returned the truck to the stock tune , went in the custom settings to ensure the custom settings were still there then re-programmed to the level 2 tow tune.

Drove out in to the street , cruised down to the first stop sign and as soon as I pulled out into the main highway traffic (a normal dose of go pedal) the truck goes into limp mode. I pulled over shut her down and re-started and eventually got it home. CS identified the P061B code. Which I cleared and the truck has gone for a couple short drives with no issues.

I have no modifications to the air intake and my throttle body was just cleaned. I have read about CAI , MAS, throttle body all being possible culprits but in my case I'm fairly dubious about those causing the problem.

I've also read people have had this code reoccur 10 -20 times so I guess we will just have to wait and see. This issue supposedly happens more often when running the level 2 canned tune??Custom tunes seem to put this issue to rest ??

My question is if we are in general agreement with Bill that a custom tune will solve the problem why can't the root cause of the code being thrown be clearly specified. Let me re-state what is the difference between the canned tunes and a custom program that supposedly makes all the difference in resolving this code?
Old Wed, August 22nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
Whopper Junior

JoeBiker is on a distinguished road
Default P061 Musings

Several drives later and no issues (knock on wood). Maybe the PCM "Adaptive learning" deal is coming into play. One would expect in my case my CS has a more current file than the truck which hasn't been reflashed at the dealer in some time.