Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, April 12th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Whopper

I Eat Catfish is on a distinguished road
Default exhaust dummy..

I just got a 06 F250 at the end of Feb. I just got a 58v FICM from Swamp's cause the original took a big fat dump on me! I'm planning on getting a Gryphon and want to know about exhaust opinions. I've heard some people say "straight 4" no cat, no muffler" and others say "that engine needs some backpressure or it will be a slug to drive." So what's the deal? I'm not looking for a wild, smoke pouring tune, just a little more "oomf" and some better mileage.
Old Mon, April 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Do a turbo back and be done with it.

The whole back-pressure idea is a gasser thing and does not apply to our diesels. The turbo can generate all the back-pressure you want.
Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Whopper

I Eat Catfish is on a distinguished road

cool. That will give me an excuse to get a straight pipe.
Old Thu, April 15th, 2010, 11:51 AM
352-636-0812

KT Performance is on a distinguished road

The straight pipe is also your cheapest option.
Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 10:00 PM
Double Whopper

NHRA6002 is on a distinguished road

I've got a Magnaflow 4" T/B with the muffler that came with it and no cat. Muffler keeps it from being anoying when idling and putting around town, but sounds killer when my foot is in it. The muffler that comes with it is straight through anyway so no real backpressure difference than straight pipe.imo
Old Wed, April 21st, 2010, 10:54 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
Do a turbo back and be done with it.

The whole back-pressure idea is a gasser thing and does not apply to our diesels. The turbo can generate all the back-pressure you want.
I beg to differ just a bit. I've personally dynoed a truck with a 3.5" downpipe and a 4" downpipe and under load lost about 25-30 ft/lbs below 1750 RPM running the 4"... making no other changes. Of course, the 4" flowed better in upper RPM ranges and power was better there as well as having lower EGTs. So there is some truth to the backpressure stuff.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, April 22nd, 2010, 02:07 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

In school we were doing dyno runs trying different combos on our three fiftys, and yes we did pick up around 6-10 hp's in the lower RPM ranges with mufflers on. But from there on they were causing a very slight loss in power.

Bill do you think the 4'' was actually creating more backpressure in the low R's because of turbulence or expansion in the down pipe(not sure on the technical term), and the 3.5'' actually had a smoother flow?
Old Thu, April 22nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I couldn't really say. I'm not big on fluid dynamics but if I had to venture a guess, it is very possible that could have the case. I know gassers backpressure is needed to help improve low RPM performance and I imagine there's a similar effect in the way the exhaust is discharged into the downpipe.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, October 23rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Whopper

tuckman is on a distinguished road

Bill,

Could you write a tune that keeps the turbo veins closed a bit longer to get that lost power back, for owners that have the straight pipe? Or is that something that is already done in tow tunes?
Edge Insight
EGR Delete
6.4 banjo bolts
Ford fuel pressure spring kit