Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Thu, October 25th, 2012, 04:24 PM
FNG

spongecop is on a distinguished road
Default Help deciding what combination of tunes for my truck

I am about to pull the trigger on a Pheonix chip and need some advice on tune selection.

The truck: stock 2001 F250, Auto, 4wd, CC, SRW

Mods to date: 4" turbo back exhaust, EBPV delete when I rebuilt the turbo, Early 99 wheel, Ford AIS intake.

I live in Dallas, TX and drive in stop an go traffic to work every day. Longer freeway trips on occasion and when I go to hunting lease. I am not looking for a race truck just a good combination of DD tunes and one moderate performance tune when i feel like screwing around. I do not tow very much and when I do its usually light. However, I do tow a 28' center console boat once or twice a year for a friend (approx 8k lbs). need the anti theft feature here in Dallas as these SD's are stolen daily.

Main concern is dropping the tranny after i put tunes on the truck...dont want to put myself in a hole fiancially just to have some fun. Any imput or advice is appreciated. Just not sure what tunes run best in these trucks.

Thanks,

Paul
Old Thu, October 25th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

I'm real happy with the tunes in my sig, stay in the 80dd most of the time but the 120race is fun
Old Thu, October 25th, 2012, 04:36 PM
FNG

Thanks for the quick reply. I have not spoken with anyone from PHP yet but does the 65 tow work for light towing also? Whats the difference btwn the 65 DD and 80DD?
Old Thu, October 25th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

The 65tow is for light towing I thought, and the difference between 65dd and 80dd is the hp. Maybe a little timing and shifting differences, but almost the same. I used the 120 tune on my truck I just recently sold, I got used to it and never wanted to use any other tune with it. I also seemed to get the best mileage with it.
My tune selection was:
stock
40 tow
65 tow
80 dd
120 hp(race? performance? not sure...)
no start.

I used the 40 tow to pull a 9k trailer, got decent mileage, decent meaning better than 10mpg's. I used the 65 to pull the trailer empty, the 80 was nice, but like I said, I really used the 120 the most.
I hope that helps your selection, oh and I had a MT so it didn't make much of a difference between tow and DD tunes, they were just hp levels. Good luck, oh and mine is for sale so I can save you some money. It is in the classifieds, make an offer. I am in Del Rio, Tx so shipping should be fairly cheap.
Old Fri, October 26th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongecop View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I have not spoken with anyone from PHP yet but does the 65 tow work for light towing also? Whats the difference btwn the 65 DD and 80DD?
I really don't use my 65tow very often, I pull my gn horse trl in the 80dd & every thing stays good (EGT)

As far as the 65/80dd I doubt that a fella would notice any difference between the two, but then again I sure ain't no expert
Old Fri, October 26th, 2012, 01:54 PM
FNG

thanks for the advice.