Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, February 18th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Double Whopper

wood4heat is on a distinguished road
Default Which tunes for my needs?

I am planning to order a Gryphon CS sometime soon and am looking for some input as to which tunes to order. First a little background, I am using a 2003 7.3 that's also in for a 4" turbo back exhaust, an intake system, and an upgraded tranny cooler to pull a toy hauler weighing around 7,000lbs empty and 10,000lbs loaded. I'm in the PNW and practically can't get anywhere without crossing a mountain range or two.

I'll start with my question regarding the 65hp tow tune vs the 80hp tow tune. Specifically whats the reasoning behind the 7,500lb weight limit on the 80hp tune? Is it strictly an EGT thing, will the trans not take it or is there another reason?

Also it seems many people report better mileage with the higher hp tunes. would it then stand to reason the 80hp tune would get better mileage than the 65hp?

Last along that same line of thinking could the 100hp performance tune get better mileage than the 80hp daily driver if driven moderately?

I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it if there is a more appropriate forum. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by wood4heat; Fri, February 18th, 2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old Fri, February 18th, 2011, 02:54 PM
semper fi

jmt0645 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood4heat View Post
I'll start with my question regarding the 65hp tow tune vs the 80hp tow tune. Specifically whats the reasoning behind the 7,500lb weight limit on the 80hp tune? Is it strictly an EGT thing, will the trans not take it or is there another reason?
yes its related to EGT, adding more power requires more fuel, which generates mor heat

Also it seems many people report better mileage with the higher hp tunes. would it then stand to reason the 80hp tune would get better mileage than the 65hp?
not sure
Last along that same line of thinking could the 100hp performance tune get better mileage than the 80hp daily driver if driven moderately?
my understanding is bill writes DD tunes for better mileage than PERF tunes on diesels
I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it if there is a more appropriate forum. Thanks for your input!
hope that helps
Old Sun, February 20th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Double Whopper

I think I'll stick with each of the tow tunes and the 80hp daily driver. Any of the performance tunes would probably just encourage me to tear up.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Sun, February 20th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

"" means your tires and drive train of course...
Old Sun, February 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Semper FI

dpcrf450 is on a distinguished road

I am in the same situation as you in Calif and I chose the 40 and 65 hp tow tunes. I will let you know how they work when I get my CTS.
Old Sun, February 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
"" means your tires and drive train of course...
Yup!

Well that was a new one. I tried to reply with just a "yup!" and received a pop up message that my post was too short, it must be at least 5 characters. I didn't want to put all of this in here, I had to...
Old Tue, February 22nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
semper fi

jmt0645 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood4heat View Post
Well that was a new one. I tried to reply with just a "yup!" and received a pop up message that my post was too short, it must be at least 5 characters. I didn't want to put all of this in here, I had to...
some people might say this is because of government mind control!
Old Fri, February 25th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Whopper

bravo-man is on a distinguished road

Well I'm in cal too. I have a 80dd, tow, 100,120r tunes i tow some times about 8,000lb and i almost never use anything els but my 120r tune but the tow tune holds the gear longer just watch your egt
Old Sat, February 26th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Double Whopper

So do the tow tunes not shift around as much on hills? I sometimes hit the overdrive button and let it rev so it will quit shifting back and forth. I'm hoping with a tow tune it will pull some of these roads in overdrive and squeeze a little more out of each tank.