Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Thu, March 31st, 2011, 09:18 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Not moving off the cold mark doesn't sound right to me...even for a cold air intake. IIRC, that gauge gets its reading from the coolant. And it takes longer for the coolant in the block to warm up vs a piston or egt probe. That gauge is not a substitue for a pyro. That gauge should get in the normal operating range, at least that is when my truck starts to shift better and run smoother. I don't consider the 6637 intake as a CAI. It is still completely exposed to the heat of the engine bay. Some people have fabricated an aluminum box to go around it and seal agiainst the hood. But it is still better than stock and cheaper than other CAI
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Thu, March 31st, 2011, 04:40 PM
Whopper

catman2 is on a distinguished road

The temp gauge moves but only half of what it did when I had my stock muffler. Today I cruised at eighty into a headwind with the outside ambient temperature at 70 degrees and it rose to the lower bracket bar right above the C. Thats as highest it goes now even when I get into it.

I'm by no means saying the dash temp. gauge is a subsitute for pyro gauges, I'm just saying my truck shifts and runs cooler and better than it ever has now that I did the intake and opened up the exhaust. It use to take almost the whole pedal to get it to eighty and now with a little toe action it jumps from 70 to 80 -85 effortlesly with peddle to spare. And wants to stay there. I'm sure it would go to 100 if I pressed it, something it hasn't done in ten years.
Old Fri, April 1st, 2011, 08:54 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

"it rose to the lower bracket bar right above the C."

That sounds more like it haha. I was thinking you had a bad dash gauge or bad coolant temp sensor.

When I had my stock exhaust and TS tuning, it was all my truck had to keep it at 100. Now I know I can get to 90 with plenty of engine left. Haven't been to 100 in a while. Last time I did that I was following another F350 from Alabama to Louisiana. We started out at 80 in Alabama, Mississippi went up to 90, and Louisiana we jumped up to 100.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx