Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, August 5th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Whopper

Firehunter is on a distinguished road
Default Rosewood's 160/80 injectors

Been looking at these for a while now. I had my heart and money set on AC's or stage ones but a recent thread pointed out that Jim charges the same amount for stock or 80% nozzles on these injectors. His website also states that he has worked with y'all (Bill. Cody?) quite a bit on the tuning. What is y'alls dealing with these injectors? I know FFD has the 160/100, is there really that much difference?

In the thread I referred to, it was stated that the 80% nozzle could actually run cooler EGT's while towing than the stock nozzle. True or ??

TIA.
Old Sat, August 6th, 2011, 05:45 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehunter View Post
Been looking at these for a while now. I had my heart and money set on AC's or stage ones but a recent thread pointed out that Jim charges the same amount for stock or 80% nozzles on these injectors. His website also states that he has worked with y'all (Bill. Cody?) quite a bit on the tuning. What is y'alls dealing with these injectors? I know FFD has the 160/100, is there really that much difference?

In the thread I referred to, it was stated that the 80% nozzle could actually run cooler EGT's while towing than the stock nozzle. True or ??

TIA.

I run 160/100% injectors in my personal vehicle, but they weren't my first choice....the price was right and they were there. However, I think that we've come up with some spectacular tunes for them in recent months. The idle quality will never be the same as stock when you go to larger nozzles though. It can be made CLOSE, but unfortunately when you're running larger nozzles it's hard to really get perfect low speed control.

The only issue that I'm running into with these stage 2 injectors over what I would see with stage 1 injectors is that the high pressure oil pump (stocker) will not keep up under high pulse width because the instantaneous flow demands of the intensifier piston moving faster in the 2s causes a drop in pressure. They don't use more oil than the 1s but they do require a higher flow rate.

If you're looking for 380-400 RWHP though, either injector will get you there. The 1s will behave closer to stock than the 2s will, but either are good.

As far as EGT differences go, the 2s should (on paper) be lower given a similar fuel demand since the injection period is shorter and can more efficiently use all of the air in the cylinder. It depends on how hard you push it, how well your HPO can be maintained, and how much power you're trying to make. The 2s I have will bury the pyrometer in a hurry with too much pulse width because the HPO tanks. 1400 is about the most I see now with the pulse width pulled back and 2700-2800 PSI. I know Bill can get his that hot just as quickly with the 1s.

The difference in 80%-100% will be minimal. So much so that I think you'd be fine running 100% tuning.....or vice-versa.
Old Sun, August 7th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Whopper

Firehunter is on a distinguished road

Cody, that is an excellent reply! Several good points, pros and cons, and best of all is I can understand it. Perfect.

After all that, I think I am back to the 1s as my first choice. I still have all that data that Bill posted after his runs on the dyno with his stage 1's. Great Stuff.