Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, March 28th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Whopper Junior

jvalentin is on a distinguished road
Default stock truck

I have a 2001 F250 completely stock other than it is straight piped. I am wanting to put a chip in it for hopefully some better mileage and some better pulling power. I am not interested in the hight performance settings and i am wondering if PHP makes a chip that will work for stock trucks, or if it is a necessity to have a egt guage. I have heard very good things about their chips but i do not want to damage anything either, by neglect on my part. Thanks for any info.
Old Mon, March 28th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

PHP has a chip that will fit your truck, or a programmer too. There are a lot of people that have stock trucks on here I am sure, and unless you get a high horsepower tune, you shouldnt have to worry about any EGT issues. But then again I dont know too much about diesels so before you buy something I would either call up PHP or wait for others to respond. I do know that it wont hurt anything if you have an EGT sensor, except your wallet that is , so if you can get one I would just to be safe.
Old Tue, March 29th, 2011, 08:15 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

If you're looking for more power to assist pulling, I highly reccomend gauges. At least pyro and trans temp gauge....but you might as well get a boost gauge too. a $300 set of gauges can save you a $2100 transmission rebuild or replacing/rebuilding the engine.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Tue, March 29th, 2011, 11:34 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

All though you probably wont need any gauges if using the tunes properly, it is a really good idea to have them.....especially if you do any towing. It is always good to keep an eye on what is happening to prevent any damage to your engine or transmission.
Old Tue, March 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Whopper Junior

thanks for the info. I am mainly wainting chip for mpg but yes this is a all around farm pickup that pulls some heavy trailers.
Old Tue, March 29th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

dietoremain is on a distinguished road

i wouldnt run a php chip(anything over 80hp) without gauges.. i pegged my pyro a few times(1100-1200) on the hotter tunes, just gotta watch it. Btw i have intake, 1.0 exhaust housing, and straight pipe and still hit that. So yeah you need gauges if you are serious its worth every penny though..
Autometer gauges
WW/ATS 1.0 exhaust housing
Hutch/Harpoon in tank mods/hpX line
AIH delete/ebpv delete
TruCool trans cooler
Straight piped
PHP FU
Old Tue, March 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Whopper

catman2 is on a distinguished road

You have a straight pipe which helps get the hot EGTs out but whether you get a chip or gauges later you should upgrade your intake now.

Pull the stock filter and the box and lid it was in and be sure to keep it all together. Go to NAPA and get a 6637 filter, a 4" long piece of 4" exhaust pipe and hose clamp. Stick one end of the 4" pipe in the filter, the other in the black intake hose and clamp them down. You now have a DIY Tymar intake for under $65.00. Your truck will breath much better, lower EGTs and gain some hp, at least mine did. Take the stock filter and box that you kept together and chunk it.
Old Wed, March 30th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Whopper Junior

thanks for all the great advice. i actually just ordered the napa filter yesterday from riffraff. I could get it cheaper there than doing it myself since my napa wanted 53 bucks for the filter. With this cold air intake and the straight pipe do you think i would be fine with the economy settings and a 25 and 40 horsepower tow settings. i may still put in a egt guage to just be safe , i just have never done it and am a little weary on it i guess. Thanks
Old Wed, March 30th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalentin View Post
thanks for all the great advice. i actually just ordered the napa filter yesterday from riffraff. I could get it cheaper there than doing it myself since my napa wanted 53 bucks for the filter. With this cold air intake and the straight pipe do you think i would be fine with the economy settings and a 25 and 40 horsepower tow settings. i may still put in a egt guage to just be safe , i just have never done it and am a little weary on it i guess. Thanks
Putting the gauge in is really not that bad, the exhaust manifold is cast iron & drills & taps nicely. I too was leary at first but really it's not bad
It's better to have it & not need it
Than to need it & not have it
Old Wed, March 30th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Whopper

catman2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalentin View Post
I don't have gauges yet either but they're next on the list, even before a chip.
I do know that on my stock idiot gauge my heat temp guage jumped to 3/8"
as soon as I would start my truck and never move, in freezing cold to 100 degree summer driving. But as soon as I put the 6637 filter on, drilled a Zoodad through the grill and put a BTM flow through muffler on my stock exhaust I looked down and my temp needle never left the C mark. I've driven it in traffic and WOT and it doesn't move off cold now so that tells me my EGTs are substantially lower. Couple that with the fact it woke my sleepy 01' up and I've gained so much response and hp throughout the power band by just letting my PS gulp cool air a chip is now a luxury perk, not a must have item.