Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, April 18th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

epowers777 is on a distinguished road
Default ruff idle still

Well my truck is still idling ruff. I got a new under the valve cover harness and tried a new icm and im still having ruff idle. When I start the truck up cold it idles perfect. Is there a way to adjust the tunes so it idles like that all the time? When it gets warm is when it idles bad.
99 F350 DUALLY 4*4
STAGE 2 SINGLE SHOT injectors by Rosewood
Magnum intake
whissling wheel
exhaust
Guages
rebuilt fuel bowl
New ip sensor
New valve thingy on hpop pump
New alternator
I have the fu chip with custom tunes. Please help I have had nothing but issues with these single shot injectors.
also my dad was following me and said when I let go of the gas it blows a puff of white smoke.
Old Tue, April 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Just guessing, blown injector gasket, bent push rod, valves not seating all the way. My uncle said he has a blown injector gasket because of all the gunk built up around that injector. Any truth to that...

I think I have the same issue (minus the white smoke) and I JUST replaced the cps with the black one from riff raff. I'll see how it runs when I leave work. It did stumble under light acceleration, but pulls very good under firm acceleration. So just in case I'm doing pricing for rocker arms, push rods, and valve springs.

My uncles 99 F250 did puff out clouds of white smoke under normal accleration but would clear up if he got on it. Then he went to start it one day and you could hear a open vlave. He pulled the valve covers and a push rod (or half a pushrod) was laying on top. After he replaced that one, another one broke and a rocker arm. So he just replaced every one of 'em.

Try running some tests on the engine and see if you get any codes...that'd be a good place to start.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Mon, April 25th, 2011, 12:36 AM

Does anyone have a video of a 7.3 idling with air in the fuel lines? Im wondering if i have a leak in the fuel line and thats why it idles funny. Just a guess. I did the fuel tank mod and it has a inline filter.
Old Mon, April 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM
God & Guns

After I installed a new black cps my truck ran much better, but now its back to its old ways...stumbling on accleration and a miss at idle. I unpugged my ICP yesterday and the miss at idle was even more noticeable. So I'm thinking IPR or IDM. Have you tried letting it idle with the ICP unplugged? Maybe we have a related problem.

I'm buying AE from PHP next month and hoping it can help me find the issue.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Fri, July 15th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Ok finally pulled my injector Rosewood diesel will inspect my injector even though my warranty is up. While everything is open what do I need to look for. What am I looking for in the cups etc. I started the truck up with the valve covers off and there was good blowby that I could see. What is expectable etc. Anyone have a video?
Old Fri, July 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Acceptable is when you can remove the oil fill cap and you don't see individual "puffs" of crankcase vapors.

The pressure of the vapors should not be enough to lift the cap off of the filler tube when placed upside down. It may vibrate off of the filler tube, but it shouldn't be blown off.
Old Fri, July 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM

Ok then its fine what am I looking for in the injector holes?

I spoke to Rosewood he thinks its the tuning but will check the injectors for me
Old Mon, July 18th, 2011, 07:09 AM
God & Guns

And what is there is enough pressure to lift the cap? I was at the dealer a couple of months ago to do the brake sensor recall and I asked him (the diesel tech) about my idle. He said it was from cylinder wear due to a "bad" filter (AFE). He then pulled my oil fill cap off and showed me the crank case vapors...it looked enough to lift the cap but I haven't tried..yet.
Old Mon, July 18th, 2011, 12:19 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

There is ALWAYS going to be some amount of blowby. That's what PCV and Crankcase Vents are for. The concern is not necessarily how much blowby you are getting (of course there can be too much), but whether or not it is a smooth stream (like blowing through a straw) or coming out in puffs (like making a motorboat sound with your lips). Uneven blowby indicates unusual wear (or worse, piston/ring damage) on a particular cylinder. This would also be evidenced by a compression test, but this is the poor man's way to identify possible engine problems.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, July 18th, 2011, 07:02 PM
God & Guns

That's my kind of diagnoses

My blowby was even. I always thought the idle of a 7.3 with a good bit of cylinder wear would be like my 96 250k with 650k mi. It idles up and down in a uniform fashion. My truck now has a random hick-up...mainly after its warm. I've read where a lot of other guys on the forums saying they fixed the same issue by finding and fixing bad injectors o-rings. And unless it becomes a must to fix, I'm gonna wait it out until I replace the injectors.

Thanks Bill, good to hear you