Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Thu, April 28th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Double Whopper

wood4heat is on a distinguished road
Default tough question

Is it possible to tell if your truck has a shift kit installed without pulling the pan?

I bought a used 2003 and was told the trans had been rebuilt. I have since contacted the dealer I bought it from but they were unable to tell me anything about the rebuild. The truck makes really solid shifts in my opinion but I have nothing to compare it to.

How firm do these tranny's shift in stock form?

I'm planning to order a PHP chip soon but am afraid if it does have a shift kit the new tuning could make the shifting overly harsh.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Thu, April 28th, 2011, 01:38 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Seems like alot of the tranny guys I know like to add a tugger kit (or similar) to their re-builds, mainly from longevity. But the way I understood it, the dealer just installs a rebuilt unit and sends the original back as a core. If this is the case - it would be hard to believe the re-man OEM trans would have any modified shifting components.

If you are satisfied with the shift firmness/feel as it is now, have PHP leave the shifting parameters stock.
Old Thu, April 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

I specified that I have a shift kit when I ordered my reburn. Not sure if shift points were still programmed in or not...but shifting is still fine as it is now.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Thu, April 28th, 2011, 10:50 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammertide07 View Post
I specified that I have a shift kit when I ordered my reburn. Not sure if shift points were still programmed in or not...but shifting is still fine as it is now.
If you have a modified valve body or pressure-increasing device, we will STILL modify the shift points.....just not shift pressures.
Old Thu, April 28th, 2011, 01:04 PM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Yea, what Cody said. I wouldn't worry about it IMO.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Thu, April 28th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Double Whopper

I don't have enough experience with these trucks to say whether the shifting is good or not. It definitely shifts harder than my '99 Chevy 1/2 ton but I would expect that.

On upshifts it feels like shifts are made with the torque converter locked up. They're not harsh but my butt can feel each shift. Almost like I had a subwoofer behind the seat. Is that normal?

One of the reasons I want custom tunes is to improve the tranny life with the towing I do. I'd hate miss out because I didn't know any better.
Old Fri, April 29th, 2011, 10:52 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

My trucks (when stock) shift so smooth you cannot even tell it sometimes.

Sounds like you might have some time of shift kit in there.
Old Tue, May 3rd, 2011, 12:56 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907DAVE View Post
My trucks (when stock) shift so smooth you cannot even tell it sometimes.
Is that typical for a stock 7.3? I've been paying closer attention since starting this thread and the some shifts are more pronounced than others but you can feel each shift.

How much harder will it shift with PHP programming? I am thinking about the 120 race program but don't plan to run it much. I'll bounce between 80DD and 65 tow 99% of the time.
Old Tue, May 3rd, 2011, 07:01 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

In my truck the shifts feel really good in the 120r, not harsh but you can feel the shifts & it seems the more throttle the smoother it feels if that makes any sense. The 65tow seems to shift a little harder, not real bothersome but just a little different feel & the 80dd is just plain nice. That is all in a completely stock trans with 190k on it.
Before the PHP chip I had a banks chip (68hp) & the transcommand. I felt a little diff in the shifts with that setup compared to stock but nothing like the better feel of the shifts with Bill's tunes. It would be great if someone near you with Bill's tunes could give you a ride in their truck so you could feel the difference yourself.
Old Tue, May 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj45lc View Post
In my truck the shifts feel really good in the 120r, not harsh but you can feel the shifts & it seems the more throttle the smoother it feels if that makes any sense. The 65tow seems to shift a little harder, not real bothersome but just a little different feel & the 80dd is just plain nice.
Any chance you remember how the shifts felt stock?