Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, May 16th, 2011, 07:54 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

VDH5.

You should have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, TCC apply, 4th gear pattern. The torque converter clutch will release momentarily during a 4-3 downshift and there will be a 2nd gear TCC apply if you stand on the accelerator above 16 MPH.

Sounds to me like you're feeling the torque converter clutch apply as the "undetectable" shift. The 3-4 upshift will drop a lot of RPM....that's normal. If the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts are firm, then I would say that the transmission has been violated.

Sounds like you have an aftermarket valve body in the transmission and a stock torque converter.
Old Mon, May 16th, 2011, 10:39 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Never had problem with the pcm casing causing randon shutoff. What I did was put cord holders along the side of the PCM casing to "snake" the cable through. That keeps tension on the cable and holds it in place.

Only problem I have found is the little solder joints on the end of the chip. Slight vibrations and and removing/installing the chip have caused the sharp solder joints to scratch some of the PCM circuits that lead off where the chip slides on. For this, I put some liquid tape over those solder joints so they are not so pointy.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Mon, May 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Double Whopper

wood4heat is on a distinguished road

Why couldn't you just cut out the back of the box where it interferes with the chip?
Old Mon, May 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what the other guys are talking about with the PCM casing interferring with the wire. I cut the casing out where I could slide the chip in/out without having to disconnect everything.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Tue, May 17th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Double Whopper

Thanks to everybody for all the help and advice. I called Cody this morning and he answered all my questions so I just placed my order! I ordered:

1-Stock,
2-40hp tow,
3-65hp tow,
4-80hp DD,
5-120hp race, and
6-whisper mode.

I did make a mistake though, I entered my axle ratio (3.73) and modified tire size (285/75/16) but somehow deleted my stock tire size (265/75/16).

Cody, if you read this today could you add that info to my order?

Sorry for the mistake and thanks again for all your help.
Old Tue, May 17th, 2011, 06:00 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

No biggie. Typically we don't change the tire size stuff for anything smaller than 33" tires since there is no speedometer correction in the chip.
Old Tue, May 17th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Double Whopper

I have seen some programmers that defuel on shifts. Seems like that would save a lot of wear and tear on the drive train, is that possible with a PHP chip on our trucks?
Old Wed, May 18th, 2011, 08:25 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

The factory programming has a torque reduction strategy during the shifts. We keep this in place on the towing and daily driving tunes. The performance and race tunes do not have this feature...especially on the 02-03 trucks because of shifting concerns due to transmission hardware changes.
Old Thu, May 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
The performance and race tunes do not have this feature...especially on the 02-03 trucks because of shifting concerns due to transmission hardware changes.
Whenever you have time I would love to know what you meant by this. Especially since I have an '03. Should I be concerned or pay special attention to anything?
Old Thu, May 19th, 2011, 10:05 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood4heat View Post
Whenever you have time I would love to know what you meant by this. Especially since I have an '03. Should I be concerned or pay special attention to anything?

The valve body spacer on the 02 and 03 trucks is different than the one on earlier trucks so it's easy to get a long, drawn-out shift on higher horsepower programs due to restricted flow problems. Sometimes, you'll get a flare and a bump too.