Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, August 3rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
The truck will not come out of 4x4 for the entire length of the track.

With a torque load on the transfer case, the shift motor will not be able to "suck" the front drive shift collar back. It's a huge waste of time (not to mention attention) to waste on something that's not doing anything anyway.

A manual-shift transfer case MAY have a chance, but good luck wrenching on the lever hard enough to get it pulled out of 4wd with power applied.
Thats what I was thinking. Seems like 4x4 would be good for launch, but even if you disengage the ESOF, then your rear-end is still pushing the front end....which now has resistance because of the hubs being locked in and hurting your top end speed. Seems like it would make more sense if you had an aftermarket transfer case to handle higher speeds and keep the 4x4 engaged down the track.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Wed, August 3rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I may be misunderstanding you, but the truck WILL be in 4wd (and all tires transmitting power to the asphalt) regardless of what you do with the transfer case switch after a 4wd launch.

The rear tires will never push the fronts down the track as the truck will continue to stay in 4wd until you lift at the traps.
Old Wed, August 3rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
Whopper

qtrhors is on a distinguished road

live and learn.

I never approved of drag racing the "tow rig" and all the "do this and do that" chatter too make it go faster in the 1/4. Drag racing a 7200 pound 4x4 never appealed to me but hey each to his own. Being a Ford guy I would rather have a 66 Fairlane(my first car) for my "street/strip bruiser". My bro and I will be taking his 91 Mustang 5.0(runs mid 13's in good air) to the track to mess around soon.
Old Wed, August 3rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Does Acton ever do any "test and tune" nights? I've been there once and would like to get the white truck on the track again (once the transmission isn't slipping anymore).
Old Wed, August 3rd, 2011, 11:20 PM
Whopper

qtrhors is on a distinguished road

Cody

Well they use to do "friday nite street drags" which was an open track deal or at least they had a couple of staging lanes open all nite for time only. The current schedule doesnt show friday nite stuff right now That was my fav. I like nite time dragracing...as in no sun burn and cooler temps Here is the web site.

Yellowstone Drag Strip

They have had "diesel drags" the last few yrs but that happens in june.
Let me know if you ever come over...love to see your rig.
Old Thu, August 4th, 2011, 07:09 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I may be misunderstanding you, but the truck WILL be in 4wd (and all tires transmitting power to the asphalt) regardless of what you do with the transfer case switch after a 4wd launch.

The rear tires will never push the fronts down the track as the truck will continue to stay in 4wd until you lift at the traps.

Yea, I got to thinking about it later last night. I was thinking right when I read your post. Excel and these formulas have my brain scrambled.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx