Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, August 2nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Double Whopper

turbosuzuki is on a distinguished road
Default chip question

Would i be able to get a chip that wont kill my stock tranny? I dont tow heavy just want alittle more power. I was thinking maybe just 40,60hp and maybe a lope idle. Thanks for any replys
Old Tue, August 2nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Stock power will kill your transmission.

You can daily-drive a 500 HP truck as long as you are nice to it......

Old Tue, August 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Double Whopper

ok im lost. everybody on the boards say increasing power will hurt the tranns. How does stock power hurt it?
Old Tue, August 2nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

If you continually beat the tar out of the truck, failure is inevitable REGARDLESS of tuning; stock or otherwise. Heck, I've seen stock transmissions in stock-tuned trucks bite the dust at 50K miles. I've seen originals go 300K or more with aftermarket tuning as well. It really depends on how the truck is treated, used, and maintained.

When (not if) your transmission fails is only a matter of time and NOTHING short of driving habits and maintenance (and that's iffy as well) will help prolong the life of these transmissions.

Everybody says a lot of things on the internet. We (me included) don't know everything, but while the internet is full of good information, there is twice as much bullcrap. Heck, once one of these "internet forum facts" starts running rampant, it takes very little time for everyone to start regurgitating it as gospel. Look at the bad reputation the Edge Evolution has.....and it's all crap thanks to it's little brother the Juice Module. It's up to peoples' better judgment to stop these "facts" in their tracks. That's one reason I go on regular hiatuses (yep that's the actual term) from all of these forums....I can't take the misinformation that continually spews from people who have NO BUSINESS discussing anything other than what brand of oil filter Wal-Mart uses when they get their oil changed. I really begin to take it personally and I need a break before I ....uh....break stuff.

I'm not targeting you one bit Mike, but: "Would i be able to get a chip that wont kill my stock tranny?"
We certainly don't design ANY calibrations to purposely make your transmission live a shorter life than it would "un-tuned". Nobody wants their truck to fail prematurely but as I was preaching earlier, stock transmissions fail regardless. For all intents and purposes, if you drive sanely, the transmission friction elements SHOULD live a longer life due to the reduced slip-time between shifts. The longer a shift takes to complete, the longer the friction elements (clutches and bands) slip before finally gripping at 100%. There isn't a lot of friction material there and it takes very little cumulative slippage to glaze the friction material and steel mating surfaces resulting in a toasted transmission.

I'm simply getting to the point here. I'm not mad, upset, frustrated, or otherwise perturbed. This is just information.....straight to the point.

Last edited by cleatus12r; Tue, August 2nd, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old Tue, August 2nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Double Whopper

I might have worded it wrong, i know you guys wouldnt build something to hurt my truck. i just wanted to chip it but not go crazy was what i was woundering. I dont want to go all out with 100hp setting is all. Sorry for any confusion and thanks for all the great info. I will be getting with you guys about a chip for my truck. You know more than i ever will about these trucks, all i know is from what i have read on the internet which im finding can be alot or wrong info.

thanks again for taking the time to explain things to me