Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Thu, August 18th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Double Whopper

turbosuzuki is on a distinguished road

no hating buddy lots of great info. just had a contribution test done on mine and was told the number 8 was bad so i payed 357 bucks for 1 injector, truck runs the same.
just had my muffler put back on my 5" exhaust and the truck felt faster with stock exhaust . sorry to get off topic
Old Thu, August 18th, 2011, 10:11 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Nothing is off-topic here! Let it flow!
Old Thu, August 18th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Double Whopper

cool, as soon as my tundra sells i will be ordering my chip . wifey put my spending on hold till i sell it though.
Old Thu, August 18th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

That is what I am waiting on... money from selling my tires and tonneau cover and Gryphon, after those are gone Ill get the phoenix and an insight for guages . and yeah, no such thing as off topic here, I want to learn as much as I can since i've never done anything with diesels before... except breath in their smoke!
just a thought... one injector is $357?! all eight cost $1100 for remanned units.. gotta love the stealership!
Old Thu, August 18th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Grown-up in training!

so i clicked on an ad at the top of this page and it took me to "dieselsite". after looking around I saw a few products, such as the wicked wheel, and now I have a few questions. First: what is the benefit of a wicked wheel and how would I know that I need one? I read that it helps get rid of "turbo surge". so second question: what is turbo surge?
I also saw a "intake heater plug" that says it helps unblock the intake. is this an issue? does this $9.00 part really make a difference in performance?
next question: are the intercooler and turbo boots that they sell worth it? do they help keep up pressure? do the stock ones really suck that bad?
Thanks for the answers!
Old Thu, August 18th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
so i clicked on an ad at the top of this page and it took me to "dieselsite". after looking around I saw a few products, such as the wicked wheel, and now I have a few questions. First: what is the benefit of a wicked wheel and how would I know that I need one? I read that it helps get rid of "turbo surge". so second question: what is turbo surge?
I also saw a "intake heater plug" that says it helps unblock the intake. is this an issue? does this $9.00 part really make a difference in performance?
next question: are the intercooler and turbo boots that they sell worth it? do they help keep up pressure? do the stock ones really suck that bad?
Thanks for the answers!
i orderd a ww just to get alittle more turbo sound, yes i know silly. It will help reduce surge but thats it no performance gain. Ialso bought that delete plug, it just seems you wouldnt want any restriction of air flow, i could be wrong though. i would think as long as your stock intercooler boots are not leaking why change them, now riffraff has the really nice blue ones but i would have them just for the look.
i dont know anything about these trucks all this i speak of i have just gotten from reading on the net, so if Cody says anything different please listen to him
Old Fri, August 19th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Grown-up in training!

Thanks for the insights, I agree with the idea of "if it ain't broke, dont fix it" but at 172600 miles I would imagine that they are getting pretty worn... idk how leaky that would make them though.
another question: Cody said that I might have u-joint problems because of a noise I hear when decelerating off the freeway, He said I can fairly easily take the driveshaft off and check the u-joints, but my question is do I need a special tool to put new ones in or can I just push hard or hammer them in? Thanks again!
Old Fri, August 19th, 2011, 11:00 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I got by for years with sockets, a vice, and a hammer. However, there are press tools out there now for doing u-joints. They're not hard, but you can damage the yokes and/or shorten the life of the new joints if not installed properly.

Youtube has a ton of u-joint replacement/inspection videos.
Old Fri, August 19th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Grown-up in training!

good to know, thanks , what's your opinion on the other things I mention in the previous post?
Old Fri, August 19th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
Thanks for the answers!
JMO so take it for what it's worth....

forget about the wicked-wheel, I doubt you have surge problems. Now after you put a chip on it you may experience surge & you'll know when you do, a ported compressor housing is the 100% cure but costs $$$. The w-w is the older style wheel which will flow a little less air but might take care of the surge. BTW you can get a w-w for $75 @ XDP

I don't put much stock in the heater delete plug deal, might make a difference if you're trying to make a 500hp engine.

The boots look nice & if you have a leak would be a good thing but if it ain't broke don't f with it.

I'd put the gauges & chip then go from there, I'm sure there will be plenty of things to spend your $$ on