Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, August 19th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Thanks! ill keep that in mind and I agree with you all that, save my money for things that work, and for when it doesnt
Old Sat, August 20th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

I'd be more inclined to change all the fluids, trans - differentials - P/S - antifreeze so you'll know everything is up to par.
Old Sun, August 21st, 2011, 12:34 PM
Double Whopper

turbosuzuki is on a distinguished road

installed my intake yerterday myself . truck is defently slower than before though
Old Sun, August 21st, 2011, 01:05 PM
Grown-up in training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosuzuki View Post
installed my intake yerterday myself . truck is defently slower than before though
how big of exhaust did you install?
Old Sun, August 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
how big of exhaust did you install?
I think he said 5", lots of folks cut up & throw away a perfectly good exhaust when all that is really needed is to get rid of the 2 ton stock muffler.

I'm one of the ones that cut up the exhaust to put the Banks 4" that came with a kit that bought before I knew what I know now....live & learn
Old Sun, August 21st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Grown-up in training!

Good thing I didnt buy something before researching... , I'm glad I've been asking questions
Old Mon, August 22nd, 2011, 07:18 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj45lc View Post
I think he said 5", lots of folks cut up & throw away a perfectly good exhaust when all that is really needed is to get rid of the 2 ton stock muffler.

I'm one of the ones that cut up the exhaust to put the Banks 4" that came with a kit that bought before I knew what I know now....live & learn
yes sir costly mistake, sounds great but that about it. truck was slow before now it just down right sucks. 715 bucks for the two . it was running alittle warmer to yesterday which i dont know why im just going by the stock guage but it was higher than normal.
Old Mon, August 22nd, 2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosuzuki View Post
yes sir costly mistake, sounds great but that about it. truck was slow before now it just down right sucks. 715 bucks for the two . it was running alittle warmer to yesterday which i dont know why im just going by the stock guage but it was higher than normal.
I'm not knocking you at all, just trying to help tico not make some of the same mistakes I made.

I would not too much stock in the stock gauge
Old Mon, August 22nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj45lc View Post
I'm not knocking you at all, just trying to help tico not make some of the same mistakes I made.

I would not too much stock in the stock gauge
oh no i understand that what were all here for is to learn. if i could keep someone from spending money they dont have to im all for it.
im on other boards and heard everybody saying you need intake and exhaust it will wake your truck up, bull cause mine is now slower.
Old Wed, August 24th, 2011, 07:16 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Estimated EGT? I looked at the page (admittedly, I didn't spend a lot of time looking), but couldn't find this information. I would LOVE to know how they estimate that since if it is offered, it's likely a calculation of mass fuel, RPM, and time. That sucks if you have larger injectors because that throws the mass fuel stuff right out the window. I'd hate to risk my engine relying on a calculation when it's cheap to buy an actual sensor that will tell me exactly how high my exhaust gas temperature is.

In addition (and hate me all you want for saying this, but it's my opinion and we all have one), the layperson should not have access to tests that they don't understand. I'm not targeting you, but for 99% of the people out there who buy diagnostic equipment just to run "buzz tests" and "contribution tests" without knowing what they're looking at/for, only leads to lots of frustration of changing out #3 and #8 injector repeatedly because they always come up bad. That's small beans compared to throwing in a new set of injectors because a certain cylinder came up in the contribution test....only to find out after thousands of dollars that the cylinder in question simply had a broken rocker arm.

It also amazes me how much bad information comes out of having the ability to do a "buzz test". Easy example: White smoke due to unburned fuel with a rough idle CANNOT be diagnosed with a buzz test. Besides, those symptoms CANNOT be caused by an open or shorted electrical connection between the IDM and the injector. People will have other folks chase their tails for DAYS suggesting a "buzz test" for a concern like this. "Oh, check your valve cover harness".....no, that will not help you locate your problem in that case.

Now that I'm done venting, HATE ON!!!!!!

No hatin here Cody. I understand what you're saying about "estimated" EGTs...I felt the same way about it. BUT, if you do read more into it you will see that the gauge has an optional Aux. port where you can plug in an actual EGT probe... IIRC. And I understand about people doing the self tests.... kinda an iffy subject I guess. It's handy to have for those who know how to use it. But for some, it can confuse them worse.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx