Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Mon, September 28th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Bacon King

RobbyMartin is on a distinguished road
Default Rear end vibration on a lifted truck.

I have a 7.5" Fabtech lift on my truck with a 5" block in the rear. Before the lift I could drive it at any speed without the vibration. Since the lift and the 4.56 gears I have a vibration at about 80 mph. I've had the gears replaced once because of a faulty ring and it still does it. Is this going to be the norm or is it something that can be corrected? Maybe the u-joint or out of balance driveline? Any thoughts?
Old Mon, September 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Wanna go fast

fordkindaguy is on a distinguished road

My best guess is that you probably have off road tires and they are not balanced correctly. With larger tires this is common.
Old Mon, September 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordkindaguy View Post
My best guess is that you probably have off road tires and they are not balanced correctly. With larger tires this is common.
Good answer!

Also this Is the pinion angle set at the proper pitch with the use of shims or tapered block? If this isn't done you will start to go through ujoints also.

I have seen tapered blocks put in backwards an upside down along with shim wedges forgotten.

Just some ideas!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Bacon King

RobbyMartin is on a distinguished road

It isn't a tire issue because its not that kind vibration. The blocks are tapered and are impossible to install upside down because of a pin and hole in the top and bottom of each block. I'm going to replace the u-joint and see if that helps.
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Love Games?

theSLEEPER is on a distinguished road

Do you have a carrier bearing? If so, you might want to drop it down a little. If not, you might want to see if you can space the transfer case down a bit. I don't like getting too much tilt on the rear diff...
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Wanna go fast

fordkindaguy is on a distinguished road

make sure to replace your yokes while you do the differential!
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 12:08 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Pinion angle, especially with a carrier bearing, can be a continuous cause of annoyance with lifted trucks. If it's not vibrating at highway speed, it's shuddering on hard acceleration. It is an absolute pain to get everything lined up correctly.

One thing we've had to do is build a spacer block to drop the carrier bearing a bit. Of course, this throws the front yoke off a little and may require dropping the tailshaft of the trans (via modified crossmember) to get everything back in line.

Lifts are a pain. It's just easier to cut 6" out of the fenders!!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!