Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, May 4th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Double Whopper

INFRNL is on a distinguished road
Default Can of worms, need upgrade opinions please

I had an original game plan of getting stage 1 injectors and not modding thereafter. Then Bill comes in to add his thoughts. So after I talked to Bill I started getting the itch.

I wanted stage 1's; Bill recommends larger and detuning the injectors to allow for any future upgrades. This makes sense.
So now I am thinking stage 3/hybrids. Maybe 238/100?

My truck is an 03 with PMR's. I want to be able to tow up to 15K on occasion without knowing I'm towing ( I think thats how some put it) My truck is mainly DD and also want the extra power for those rare times when I want to mess around. Would also like to try and gain some fuel mileage if easy on the pedal; if possible.

Since my talk with Bill, I have been thinking about upgrading my turbo. Many say 38R is plenty, others say H2E(or modded) or WOP QSSB or GQSSB. I was thinking of going with a H2E or modded as they are tried and true; however some say the WOP might be better cause of less lag.
Maybe I am just starting to go overboard, not sure. I am liking the options with H2E or WOP.

I do not have current plans for forged rods, but maybe later down the road. I also have to figure out where my boost has gone. I need to make sure my truck is near 100%before future upgrades.
Oh, I will be getting a full BTS tranny installed on June 1st as well; so tranny will not be an issue.

Any thoughts on injectors and mostly turbo would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Nexus Guages (TT,FP,BP,EGT), 4"MBRP Exhaust. Coolant filtration system,203*stat and billet housing, AIH delete, HP X-Over line. (Baldwin PA2818) Bellowed up-pipes; TN Turbo(non-BB), BTS VB, In-Tank mods. RR FRx & Boots. 6.0Tranny Cooler
Old Fri, May 4th, 2012, 08:40 PM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

This thread got me doing some research, and is like to throw in a question or 2.

Running stage 3 238cc to full potential, is there other modifications to be considered such as head studs? Also would like input on EBP. More exhaust will make more back pressure. At what point would you be concerned of the exhaust pressure overcoming the valve spring? I guess that would be another upgrade to consider as well as push rods?
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Fri, May 4th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammertide07 View Post
This thread got me doing some research, and is like to throw in a question or 2.

Running stage 3 238cc to full potential, is there other modifications to be considered such as head studs? Also would like input on EBP. More exhaust will make more back pressure. At what point would you be concerned of the exhaust pressure overcoming the valve spring? I guess that would be another upgrade to consider as well as push rods?
For now Bill mentioned detuning the injectors to keep the truck safe with PMR's, but would allow for any future upgrades. This way i do not have to keep getting new injectors and wasting money for each upgrade.

Right now I want to keep the pmr's and everything the way it is, but I cannot tell you what my crazy thoughts will do in time. I currently have everything in my sig. Not right now, but maybe in the future we could do head studs, springs, rods, push rods, etc. I imagine that will be costly.

Honestly I might end up happy with the max safe level on PMR's (400ish)
I am in the learning process about all of this and is kind of why I am looking for advise. I do not know what my EBP is, but I am going to try and figure it out on AE that just arrived today.

If you remember from TDS, I am having a loss of boost. I am going to dig into it and try to check the truck over with AE. I need to figure out how to use it and what to look for

Also keep in mind that I live at 6500ft which apparently can create issues with bigger turbos

Thanks for any help. Let me know if you need more info from me to be able to help. Thanks
Nexus Guages (TT,FP,BP,EGT), 4"MBRP Exhaust. Coolant filtration system,203*stat and billet housing, AIH delete, HP X-Over line. (Baldwin PA2818) Bellowed up-pipes; TN Turbo(non-BB), BTS VB, In-Tank mods. RR FRx & Boots. 6.0Tranny Cooler
Old Fri, May 4th, 2012, 10:26 PM
God & Guns

Yea, I remember you and some other guys having boost issues. I think that's the longest thread I've ever read.

Just a quick check and what you've looked into:

-boost leak
-exhaust leak
-shaft play
-clean filter

I think I have an exhaust leak. That black soot on the up pipes could be a clue. Im driving back home in 3 weeks. My truck will probably getting the bellowed up-pipes and ring-and-pinion gears the same time you're getting the BTS tranny.

I would like to get around 450-550hp. I'm going to check the insoection port to see what kind of rods I have when I install my 6.0 cooler that's been laying in the corner of my bedroom since Christmas.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Fri, May 4th, 2012, 10:31 PM
God & Guns

If I do have pmr's, I'm gonna save my lunch money until I can take it to the PHP shop and have them install forged rods, springs, rods, turbo injectors, fuel system, and maybe bigger hpop.
Old Sat, May 5th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
If I do have pmr's, I'm gonna save my lunch money until I can take it to the PHP shop and have them install forged rods, springs, rods, turbo injectors, fuel system, and maybe bigger hpop.
Whats this going to set you back? That sounds like an expensive trip/project.
I was thinking about upgrading my turbo which is what I am trying to figure out and possibly stopping at PHP to get injectors installed after I get the tranny installed. Can have Bill redo my tunes as well. I do not know that I have enough cash saved up for all of that though.
I just do not want to get injectors, reburn, upgrade turbo...reburn, etc. I would like to get turbo and injectors then reburn at one time, plus possibly live tuning. It may just be a dream, but would be nice to do since I will be half way there.

I currently have $12K saved for the trip, but that will not go far when the tranny takes approx $5k of that. I might have to call Bill back on Tuesday and see what his thoughts are. I would love for Bill to do the work and help me figure out my Boost issue.
I can only get 20-22 lbs on DP 80E setting and I have confirmed that is accurate from running AE on a test run.

I am trying to figure out what to test and look for exactly using AE. I ran the buzz test, contribution and came back clean, ran the glow plug test for fun with no issues.
I tried testing HPOP, ICP and I think I am good. I get no codes except the AIH I removed and I currently have EBPV disconnected so I get a code for that.

I do not know how to test back pressure, but the BP in AE stays 1-2pts from Manifold Absolute Pressure. on WOT they will get into the high 30's. cant get data logging to work, need to get that figured out.

I have tested many times and looked, but I do not detect any boost or exhaust leaks at all. I have noticed, since my testing all started; when I really get on it and let off when I hit 1200+ deg, the truck will run rough, buck, studder or however you want to put it. I do not know if thats an issue with the DP chip.
I will have my FU on Tuesday so I will do some new tests with new chip installed.

If I am reading things right, My ICP pressure will get up to around 2800psi when I get on it, I think thats due to DP tunes. I believe PHP tunes will yield higher pressure IIRC.

As far as I can tell, everything seems normal, except I am low on boost. I did notice today it took longet to hit 1200+ deg, not sure why but I am not complaining. Still gets up there quick though. I think tonight I got it to 60mph or so before 1200ish. During my recent testing, I would only make it to 50mph.
Old Sat, May 5th, 2012, 07:06 PM
God & Guns

I'll probably start talking to them when I hit 10k in the bank. I got 7k now but I'm doing some more spending on some truck maint. between now and then. Plus I'm house hunting so that could set me back 4-6k out of pocket depending on financing. But I have been looking for a house for little over a yr.

If I have my truck there and having them do all of that work, i will deffinately have them live tune it. I've already made one trip over that way. It's really not too too far when I'm back home in Alabama. Plus my dad is always traveling over that way. We can drop the truck off and spend some time up in Helen GA while they work on it.
Old Sun, May 6th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
I'll probably start talking to them when I hit 10k in the bank. I got 7k now but I'm doing some more spending on some truck maint. between now and then. Plus I'm house hunting so that could set me back 4-6k out of pocket depending on financing. But I have been looking for a house for little over a yr.

If I have my truck there and having them do all of that work, i will deffinately have them live tune it. I've already made one trip over that way. It's really not too too far when I'm back home in Alabama. Plus my dad is always traveling over that way. We can drop the truck off and spend some time up in Helen GA while they work on it.
wow, thats a good chunk of change. Sound like you have quite a bit going on.
I have some bills I want to pay off this yr and the wife wants to move withing the next 2-3 yrs.
I am not sure how crazy I want to get yet. I know I want injectors and I now need a new turbo. My exhaust impeller broke 2 fins and has some add play now. Weird thing is I put the stocker back on today and hit 23 lbs on 80e setting; so I might be back to normal on boost. I could not hit that much before.

I might just max out my pmr's and later when I need engine work, I can do the necessary upgrades for more power. Or I can sometime buy a new forged rod block, IDK.
Right now my main focus is to try and figure out what I want and get the injectors and turbo figured out.
I was thinking modded h2e or Gqqsb, but after some reading, many are going with other turbos. ie s3xx, s4xx, so I am really lost now.

I honestly do not know what a 400hp truck feels like and I could very well be happy at that power point. Thats a couple hundred more than I have now which should be a significant difference. Will have to make some calls for recommendations this week.
Old Sun, May 6th, 2012, 08:39 AM
God & Guns

Couple hundred more HP? You're probably around 300 if not a little more.

I've thought about another block...not a bad idea. It would probably be easier. I like the Black Mamba engine.
Old Sun, May 6th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Couple hundred more HP? You're probably around 300 if not a little more.

I've thought about another block...not a bad idea. It would probably be easier. I like the Black Mamba engine.
I have never been on a dyno. I think our truck are around 235/250 at the flywheel, so probably under 200 at the wheels. 80/120hp from the chip, but I am not sure how much power we actually get from the chip. SO I guess we are somewhere near 300. That sucks, 100-150 more on PMR's probably isn't enough

When I make my calls this week about turbo's I think I will ask about upgrading the motor, just for grins. Maybe this year I will max out the PMR's and save to get mor power next year.

I am not sure what the Black Mamba motor is, but will look into it. Thinking a short block might be the best route. Then we can upgrade our existing blocks for backup.