Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Double Whopper

NHRA6002 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJohn View Post
I finally got tired of the hard start issue and took it to the Ford dealer. They reflashed the FICM for $100. The truck starts and runs fine now.
Oh well, expensive lesson learned.
I also had to take mine in to the dealer for reflashing. Mine is also one that needs the I/H stategies. Now I'm having troubles with my Evo due to the latest VGT programmimg from Ford. The tech guys at Edge have been great at making changes trying to correct this issue, just got the latest update from Edge and will be testing over the weekend to see if it is corrected.
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 11:09 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

What sort of problem are you having between the Evo and the latest VGT programming? Also, what's your HEX code for your ECM and TCM? Really curious.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, April 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Diesel Tech

RoyBoy is on a distinguished road

Just thought I'd mention for those waiting for the updated flash, it helps a lot (at least on mine) to plug the truck in for an hour before I start it. I know its not a permanent solution, but it will help in the mean time

2004 F350 6.0 6spd lots of mods
Old Mon, April 12th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Double Whopper

NHRA6002 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
What sort of problem are you having between the Evo and the latest VGT programming? Also, what's your HEX code for your ECM and TCM? Really curious.
Smoke and high EGT's on levels 2 and up. I'm out of town and trucks at home so don't know the hex codes. Also was not able to test latest program from Edge this weekend (running kids around all weekend).The FICM wil be the latest from Ford with the new VGT programming (they cycle the vanes at idle to help eliminate sticking).
Old Wed, April 14th, 2010, 09:52 AM
who knows ??

Georgia Diesel is on a distinguished road

ok , first off i want to say a lil something, and im not pointing fingers at anyone, just saying what needs to be said.......The problems with these cold start issues and cold running issues has nothing to do with bills tuning on these ficms. The reasons ford does the IH strats on these trucks is because of the cold issues that these trucks have..The aggresive IH is what is killing these ficms..Now bill can do away with the IH or he can do a very mild IH just depends on what you want. THE PROBLEM YOU MAY HAVE WITH A COLD START OR COLD RUN IS YOUR INJECTORS !!!!!!! If you dont beleave me go drop a few grand and put new sticks in and see how great it runs..Im getting tired of all the bashing going on on these forums about how i got my ficm tuned and now it skips.. Now with this being said I have a 03 6liter and have done a lot of testing and im currently testing for bill...Thru the years ford has developed many different strats to help with cold start issues and emmision control on our trucks, therefor killing performance and fuel mileage....Then comes bill who in my opinion is one of the best tuners and most knowledgable persons that there is on tuning our trucks that can get the fuel mileage and performance back for us, BUT IF YOU HAVE A HARWARE ISSUE WITH YOU TRUCK PERFORMANCE TUNING IS GONNA TELL ON IT....5 seconds of Inductive heating does more than 5 minutes of run time...I recently put my truck back to the original 03 programming ficm,ecm,tcm.tuning it had the day it rolled off the factory line in may of 2003...It runs better stock now than it did with my daily driving tuned truck before...better fuel mileage lower egt's and to say the least it has balls...The original programming for these trucks hauls *** but all the newest strats for our trucks has really robbed performance. Now my ficm has ZERO inductive heating on it..does my truck skip for a few minutes in the morning YES...DO i have a few injectors with sticking spool valves YOU DANG RIGHT....But i can live with a few minutes of skipping in the morning, for all the performance and fuel mileage in return, In my opinion and many , many others ficm tuning is well worth the investment for all the returns you will gain...Now some out there will read this and get all mad or repost this and call names, but opinions are like *******s and everybody has one. The fact of the matter is if you get you ficm tuned and it skips for a few minutes then you have some bad injectors... its not the ficm or bills tuning if you can live with the skip for a few minutes then you will enjoy better fuel mileage, lower egt's and overall better performance......If you cant handle the fact that your injectors are bad and dont like a lil miss in the mornings than leave the current aggresive IH strat in you ficm and when cold weather comes around again you can drop about 6 to 7 hundred bucks a year on a new ficm....Sorry for the long post i just had to say this and will also say on any other post i see....Thanks for reading this and im sorry if i wasted anyones time or pissed anyone off....
crew cab 4-wheel drive 03 f-250 6 uh oleaker.4 inch staight pipe..12 years of being a diesel tech..i love helping others..feel free to call with any concerns..706-244-4955 got the truck put back to factory tuning the day she rolled of the factory line, TEC3..ficm,tcm,ecm...php is the best
Old Wed, April 14th, 2010, 12:01 PM
electro-mechanical geek

eabrust is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Diesel View Post
Im getting tired of all the bashing going on on these forums about how i got my ficm tuned and now it skips..
Georgia, you come across sort of harsh... take a breath man. I hope nothing I've said has been misconstrued as 'bashing' through these forums, that's never been my intent, I've just been patiently awaiting some responses or a reflash availability... but here's my thought...to be fair, you might listen to my end.

I agree that the skipping problem is directly a result of sticking injectors that's a given, and that's why Ford has created the inductive heat strategies. Now here's my point of view and where I'm coming from, the PHP tuned FICM was advertised as having a 'hybrid inductive heat strategy' which most anyone out there would believe is similar or equivalent to the Ford IH strategies. Thus, some one like me, average joe with a 6.0, who has a truck that runs great on a Ford FICM, should expect a similar result with the tuned FICM with the IH strategy it is advertied as having. No where on the site has it been advertised that 'Trucks that require I/H strategy will not run well with our tuned FICM'.

I see few potential paths (and these are only my thoughts/opinions).
1) PHP advertises that the tuned FICMs do not provide an IH strategy that works for all, and give fair warning to customers that if they have poor injectors, they will be unhappy or expect start issues.
2) PHP comes up with a FICM strategy that helps those that need it, and in the end, perhaps it is an option on the order form wether or not you order a FICM tune with or without IH strategy enabled. Let the customer chose. If I burn up a FICM, I won't cry, I'll likely fix it myself.

Again, I'm not bashing, I'm not crying, I'm not pointing fingers or blaming anyone, or Bill. I'm just saying what I see from my point of view, and waiting for a strategy that works for me. In fact, despite the intial issues I had w/ my FICM, I've continued on ordering an Gryphon w/ custom tunes from PHP. I have no doubt about Bill or his work!

Regards,
Eric Brust
EGR deleted
Bypass coolant and oil filters
4" Turboback
Old Wed, April 14th, 2010, 04:55 PM
who knows ??

Again, I'm not bashing, I'm not crying, I'm not pointing fingers or blaming anyone, or Bill. I'm just saying what I see from my point of view, and waiting for a strategy that works for me. In fact, despite the intial issues I had w/ my FICM, I've continued on ordering an Gryphon w/ custom tunes from PHP. I have no doubt about Bill or his work!

this is not the first thread i have seen about this matter and i dont need to take a breath i am fine trust me...You said it all in your one sentence,,,,waiting for a strategy that works for me...Every truck will react different when it comes to custom tuning...what strategy that would be great for my truck may not be for evrybody else....Like i said before I AM NOT POINTING FINGERS OR BLAMING ANYONE,,, I AM JUST SIMPILY SAYING WHAT NEEDS TO BE SAID. WHEN you modify these truck everbody takes the risk as there on...so if a tuner or programmer that you install whomever may do it , breaks you vehicle its not the tuners fault...I get sick and tired of reading on the other forums that ( people say WELL MY HEADGASKETS FNALLY BLEW OR MY TRANNY FINALLY WENT GUESS I WILL GO TO THE DEALER TOMORROW) and then a few days later there back on the forum saying ( THE DEALER VOIDED MY WARRENTY OR THEY GET ALL MAD AT FORD OR CHEVROLET OR DADGE AND SAY THEY WE NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN)) I have pulled the engine out of my truck 3 times. can i blame the whoever tuned my truck for its failer.....NOPE sure cant,,,its my fault and i accept 100% of the blame and would never post on a internet site bashing the person that tuned my truck...I have ran tunes from just about every tuner there is thaat does them for sct and i can honestly say that i have never had a issue with the tuning that php supplies.....
crew cab 4-wheel drive 03 f-250 6 uh oleaker.4 inch staight pipe..12 years of being a diesel tech..i love helping others..feel free to call with any concerns..706-244-4955 got the truck put back to factory tuning the day she rolled of the factory line, TEC3..ficm,tcm,ecm...php is the best
Old Wed, April 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

GD,

Whats the build date on your truck? I'm just curious as to how far back you went on your tuning? I had a early 03, Jan 03 build. It ran like a SOB had pilot injection, a real good tow/haul, just flat hauled the mail.
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Thu, April 15th, 2010, 01:41 AM
who knows ??

Not for sure as the strat bill put on it as I don't have my truck with me. I think it was a tec1 strat. Bill can confirm it for me. The earlier strats for these trucks really haul *** and have some nuts to them. I personaly love it. Now I am currently talking with ryan about building my sticks for me. Probaly gonna go around 175's but no bigger than 190's. Even with the early ficm strat with zero IH it is really not that bad. I may have to let it idle for 5 minutes or so but I do that anyway even in the summer. I don't remeber the build date but I do remember is is a early 03. My truck stays at home all week as I work out of town a lot. The wife drives it more than I do. I will repost the dates and what strat I running when I get home saturday or bill can post it. He knows. Haha. Its almost fun to drive now. I will say that with this early 03 programming I get better fuel mileage and have better performance than I did before with it tuned in my daily driver file. **** it even rolls a lil coal stock.