Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, December 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Cajun Country

StJohn is on a distinguished road
Default Rouge idle when cold

Just had my FICM from my 2004 F250 6.0L tuned by PHP. Installed it and cleaned my EGR at the same time. When I started the engine, it ran very rough, like several cylinders missing. When it warmed up after several minutes it ran better than it has in a long time.
Started it the second morning, same thing. Very rouge idle with pronounced miss. Ran fine after 10 min warmup.
Some tell me that the problem requires that I have my PCM flashed with the latest program.
If I have the PCM reflashed, will it invalidate the PHP FICM tune?
Any advice is appreciated.
Old Sat, December 26th, 2009, 07:43 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Not sure who this is so it's a bit difficult to advise. Please fill in all the information in the User Control Panel http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/usercp.php so we know who we're working with.

As for the FICM/ECM, we occasionally run into this issue. In most cases, we've found the FICM output voltage to be low and with the updated FICM strategy it doesn't (pre)heat the injectors rapidly enough to help eliminate the cold start issue. I don't think reflashing the ECM will resolve the starting issue as the Inductive Heating strategy is handled solely through the FICM. The simple resolution is to switch the FICM strategy to the more aggressive Inductive Heating strategy which unfortunately is sure to eventually kill the FICM. There may be some other resolutions, but need to know who this is so I can reference your order and get a clear idea of what we've got going on.

Let me know.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, January 31st, 2010, 04:34 PM
Whopper

rodolan is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem. Rough idle like hitting on six until it warms up. I've just installed my ficm that I had reprogrammed.It was starting fine with other ficm. I'm on my first tank of fuel so I can't report on my mileage yet. any suggestions.. Thanks......
Old Mon, February 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

What year is your 6.0? and what's your code?
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Mon, February 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
What year is your 6.0? and what's your code?
M truck is an 03 and what code are you referring to?
Old Tue, February 2nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
Cajun Country

Never heard back from Bill. The PH FICM tune really improved the way the engine runs at operating temp. But, I have to plug it in every night regardless of the temperature so that it will start in the morning.
Anyone else have this problem with the PH FICM tune?
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJohn View Post
Never heard back from Bill. The PH FICM tune really improved the way the engine runs at operating temp. But, I have to plug it in every night regardless of the temperature so that it will start in the morning.
Anyone else have this problem with the PH FICM tune?
I'm having the same problem except I don't have to plug it in. It just runs like crap until it warms up. Geaux Saints.......
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

The code I was referring to was your strategy code like the VXCF4 etc. Its important you guys fill out your user profile including your name, which you have done, but neither of you list your stratgy code.

I'm not sure which program Bill installed in your trucks. As you know they had a really bad Holiday season and are trying to catch up, but I'm sure he address this when he get a minute.

I don't have any heat inductive strategy in my FICM programs, the trucks will miss a little when cold(0-30F) until they warm up. Which doesn’t bother me cause I let them warm up. They've always started like that, but I've never had the Heat Inductive FICM killing Ford Flashes on these one. The trucks I deal with at work do though.

Can each of you tell me how long the injectors buzz when you turn on the key but don't start the engine? And do the injectors buzz the same or do they ramp up the buzzing?

Last edited by Jeremy; Wed, February 3rd, 2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Noticed their name in their profiles
Old Thu, February 4th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Whopper

Quote:
The code I was referring to was your strategy code like the VXCF4 etc. Its important you guys fill out your user profile including your name, which you have done, but neither of you list your stratgy code.

I'm not sure which program Bill installed in your trucks. As you know they had a really bad Holiday season and are trying to catch up, but I'm sure he address this when he get a minute.

I don't have any heat inductive strategy in my FICM programs, the trucks will miss a little when cold(0-30F) until they warm up. Which doesn’t bother me cause I let them warm up. They've always started like that, but I've never had the Heat Inductive FICM killing Ford Flashes on these one. The trucks I deal with at work do though.

Can each of you tell me how long the injectors buzz when you turn on the key but don't start the engine? And do the injectors buzz the same or do they ramp up the buzzing?
I've had the latest strategy done less than 6 mos. ago. The injector buzz seems to last a few seconds, usually about the same time the wait to start light goes off, If it wasn't raining I could go outside and check strategy, but like I said I has a fe-flash done about 6 mos. ago. The truck runs fine after it warms up just not so good when cold 45* or less. Don't really feel any difference in performance and I'm checking fuel mileage now, will keep you everyone posted, if that improves I can live with the rough cold running. Thanks....
Old Thu, February 4th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Cajun Country

Quote:

I'm not sure which strategy I have. I get two codes from my scanner, the first is VXBC9N8 and the second is AKZ2AH17. The buzz last for less than a second and doesnt ramp up.
Hope this helps and thanks for the reply.