Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sat, February 6th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

Your code is the VXBC9. I am sorry I cannot be of more help, this one is for Bill, and I know he is busy.

I was asking about how long the injectors buzz, because some of them keep buzzing after the WTS light goes out. The trucks that do that seem to start and run allot better if you wait and start them after the buzzing stops vs. the WTS light going out. A light grade of oil helps, like Rotella 10w30, Delo make a 10w30 now as well. I don't know if you’re running a 15w40 or not.

Also when you park the truck at night, cycle the key on and off a few times. By this I mean....With the truck off...turn the key on, let the injectors buzz, when they stop, turn the key off and then back on again let them buzz and so forth. Do this a few times. This should help to clear some of the oil out of the injectors, and from what I'm told help alleviate some of the stiction.

Give it a try while your waiting to hear back from Bill and please let me know if any of that helps.
Old Thu, April 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Cajun Country

StJohn is on a distinguished road
Default Rouge idle when cold

I finally got tired of the hard start issue and took it to the Ford dealer. They reflashed the FICM for $100. The truck starts and runs fine now.
Oh well, expensive lesson learned.
Old Thu, April 8th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

I posted a note in the moderators section to get Bills attention, hopefully he can come up with a solution for you. Your not the only one who has a issue. Some trucks just don't seem to like the FICM flashes, my Excursion is one of them. However the other trucks run great with the exact same FICM tune.
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Thu, April 8th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Diesel Tech

RoyBoy is on a distinguished road

It seems I may have the exact same problem. Just did the remote reflash(worked awesome BTW). Runs terrible cool (even at 60°F) and perfect warmed up. I'd be interested to know if a fix for this comes up...

2004 F350 6.0 6spd lots of mods
Old Thu, April 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM
electro-mechanical geek

eabrust is on a distinguished road

Hey Roy,

Did you do the remote FICM flash through a Gryphon? Just wondering how easy/slick it goes..... I'm still waiting for my EVO to come back to me as a Gryphon.

I'm also in the boat of waiting for a fix for the I/H strategy to work in the tuned FICMs. I recently did the modification to my PHP tuned FICM to get it running at 58volts, and still struggle with cold start issues, so I know it isn't a 'low voltage/dying FICM' thing going on for me.

Eric
EGR deleted
Bypass coolant and oil filters
4" Turboback
Old Thu, April 8th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Diesel Tech

I believe that was what it was. PHP sent it to me and I tuned the truck and sent it back. I've even put in Rev-X to try to help with stiction without much change. Bill please help us ASAP it's embarrassing to have a truck that runs like this

Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 05:19 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

We have a truck here today that we're going to test a new strategy update on which we're expecting to resolve the cold start issue. I really dislike having to use the inductive heating strategies, even the mild ones, but it seems that it's a necessary evil for some trucks. So far it looks as if the latest IH strategy isn't killing the power boards in the FICMs, but only time will really tell.

Anyway, I'll have more information by Monday on the release of the new strategy and can get everyone updated to the new strategy. Those who have already been reflashed will be updated at no charge. We just ask that you provide the (refundable) $250.00 deposit for the programmer and cover shipping costs to you. We'll cover the return shipping and include a pre-paid shipping label in the package.

If you are having starting problems with your modified FICM strategy and need to get on the list for the update, please FAX us a copy of the Remote FICM Tuning order form and indicate on the form that you are currently experiencing cold start issues with your current modified flash and would like to be updated. The only reason I ask that you fax it is so that we make sure not to miss anyone's e-mail. As soon as the updates are ready to go, we'll start getting the units sent out in the order we receive the requests.

I want to thank everyone for their patience while we get this resolved. The last couple months have been pretty rough for is personally and has caused us a number of delays in providing a solution for this issue. However, we're finally getting on top of it and expect to have everyone running up to snuff again.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 05:26 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJohn View Post
I finally got tired of the hard start issue and took it to the Ford dealer. They reflashed the FICM for $100. The truck starts and runs fine now.
Oh well, expensive lesson learned.
I sure wish you'd have contacted us before you went to the dealer. We'd have had a solution for you here in the next couple days.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Diesel Tech

Fax sent. Thanks Bill!

Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM
electro-mechanical geek

eabrust is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post

Anyway, I'll have more information by Monday on the release of the new strategy and can get everyone updated to the new strategy. Those who have already been reflashed will be updated at no charge. We just ask that you provide the (refundable) $250.00 deposit for the programmer and cover shipping costs to you. We'll cover the return shipping and include a pre-paid shipping label in the package.
Thanks Bill, Its Awesome to hear that a fix is near, and we weren't all imagining issues with our trucks (Well, I guess the fact our trucks need I/H is an issue in itself, but...oh well)

Two question(s),

1) To get the remote FICM 're-tune' done, do we have to send in deposit for the programmer, or are those with (or soon to have) a Gryphon going to be able to do the remote program with it? (IE, when you ship me my Gryphon, can it be sent ready to flash my FICM, and then after that, I grab the canned or custom tunes w/ Pegasus?)

2) (this question is for my own personal curiosity) Is the inductive heat strategy a hard-coded thing that runs for so long under a timer every time the truck is started no matter what, or does the ECM trigger it when it wants to based on sensor inputs (ambient temp, engine temp, etc)? Guess I'm curious if it is something that you can enable/disable when ever you want with the Gryphon? (ie, have a 'start inductive heating' menu option on the Gryphon which triggers it to turn on/off depending on the temp/how the truck is running,etc.) By no means am I asking you to implement such feature, just curious as to how controllable it is (ie, is it simmilar to the injector buzz test in that it is something that can be triggered on demand).

Thanks again Bill, we know you're burried, and you sell a product most people have a hard time waiting for.... (thats good, right?)

regards,
Eric
EGR deleted
Bypass coolant and oil filters
4" Turboback