Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, April 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Whopper Junior

Virago is on a distinguished road
Default 2007 f150 cs evolution

I have gas Fx4 with cold air intake. CS evo will not program and run on any thing other than stock. It worked for a while on "transmission only" but now doesn't. Will not run on "tow" or "extreme". Edge techs can't seem to help....blame Air Raid cold air intake(MAS).
Old Tue, April 24th, 2012, 01:00 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago View Post
I have gas Fx4 with cold air intake. CS evo will not program and run on any thing other than stock. It worked for a while on "transmission only" but now doesn't. Will not run on "tow" or "extreme". Edge techs can't seem to help....blame Air Raid cold air intake(MAS).
I don't see how an intake would effect your CS functioning, but maybe we can help if you give us a bit more information.

What do you mean when you say the CS won't "run"? Are you saying the screen won't light up when it's plugged into the truck? Have you checked your cigarette lighter fuse if that's the case?

Or, are you saying it won't change the program in your PCM to anything other than stock? If this is the case, have you tried repairing the firmware/software in the CS using Fusion?

Or, does it program the truck but then your truck gives you a CEL on anything other than stock?

Give us some clarification here, please.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, April 24th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Whopper Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I don't see how an intake would effect your CS functioning, but maybe we can help if you give us a bit more information.

What do you mean when you say the CS won't "run"? Are you saying the screen won't light up when it's plugged into the truck? Have you checked your cigarette lighter fuse if that's the case?

Or, are you saying it won't change the program in your PCM to anything other than stock? If this is the case, have you tried repairing the firmware/software in the CS using Fusion?

Or, does it program the truck but then your truck gives you a CEL on anything other than stock?

Give us some clarification here, please.

- Jack
The device itself functions. When programmed the truck stalls out/check engine light/wrench appear in tow or extreme. Tech said mass air impacted by the air intake. I updated with Fusion...still no luck.
Tech said to talk with Bill at Powerhungry Performance or replace factory air intake.
Old Tue, April 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Whopper

Especial86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The device itself functions. When programmed the truck stalls out/check engine light/wrench appear in tow or extreme. Tech said mass air impacted by the air intake. I updated with Fusion...still no luck.
Tech said to talk with Bill at Powerhungry Performance or replace factory air intake.
Have you tried cleaning the MAF "mass air flow sensor" with MAF cleaner??
If the intake is suspect, that's the first place I'd look. Also, look for leaks on the intake piping leading to the throttle body...

Try checking the codes with the edge and report back.
Old Tue, April 24th, 2012, 06:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

This makes more sense now. I suspect the intake IS somewhat responsible for the problems you are having with the Edge canned tunes. They were never designed to work properly with an aftermarket intake.

Can you put the stock intake back on and try that? And can you check the throttle body to see if it needs cleaning? I don't know where the MAF sensor is now with your intake, but if it's dirty, that can cause problems too.

Regardless, I'd try the stock intake solution first.

- Jack
Old Tue, April 24th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Whopper Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Especial86 View Post
Have you tried cleaning the MAF "mass air flow sensor" with MAF cleaner??
If the intake is suspect, that's the first place I'd look. Also, look for leaks on the intake piping leading to the throttle body...

Try checking the codes with the edge and report back.
Thanks I will try cleaning the MAF sensor first. I don't have the stock intake anymore. Since posting I have tried to reprogram back to "transmission only" but that does not function any longer.....
The engine does run well in "stock" however...
Any ideas on Powerhungry.com for customized tunes?
Old Wed, April 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Thanks I will try cleaning the MAF sensor first. I don't have the stock intake anymore. Since posting I have tried to reprogram back to "transmission only" but that does not function any longer.....
The engine does run well in "stock" however...
Any ideas on Powerhungry.com for customized tunes?
Yes, my tunes are customized by Bill at PHP and I think they are definitely better (more "refined") than the canned tunes from Edge. It is probable that Bill could create custom tunes for you that would eliminate the problems you are having.

It would cost you $60 to try one out, which to me is a reasonable experiment. I started with one custom tune only - a custom towing tune since I pull a trailer. I liked it well enough that I ultimately got a custom non-tow tune for 87 octane gas as well.

- Jack
Old Thu, April 26th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Whopper Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Yes, my tunes are customized by Bill at PHP and I think they are definitely better (more "refined") than the canned tunes from Edge. It is probable that Bill could create custom tunes for you that would eliminate the problems you are having.

It would cost you $60 to try one out, which to me is a reasonable experiment. I started with one custom tune only - a custom towing tune since I pull a trailer. I liked it well enough that I ultimately got a custom non-tow tune for 87 octane gas as well.

- Jack
Well I removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it thoroughly. It didnt seem dirty but it must have been. I can now program tranny only and towing levels. Wow that took some time to get here.
Now I need to figure out if one level gives me better daily driving fuel economy than stock.
Old Sat, April 28th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Whopper

Especial86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well I removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it thoroughly. It didnt seem dirty but it must have been. I can now program tranny only and towing levels. Wow that took some time to get here.
Now I need to figure out if one level gives me better daily driving fuel economy than stock.
NICE! I'm glad to see things work out for you..

I think you will like the tow tune!...I know my truck certainly does.