Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, August 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I think Bill WILL come in here, but if it's doing bad things in stock, I don't like it. I see that it's not that old a truck and that you have 40K on it. Seems much to soon for tranny troubles, doesn't it? I don't suppose it's still under some kind of warranty?

- Jack
Kind of in the same boat I am, Jack.
If anything goes, its out of my back pocket.
Mine was up in feb. Ext warranty is about $2600 and going up every quarter. Pretty cheap if you look at the cost of a tranny or a motor in these beasts.

dnkrm first bring your truck to a good tranny shop, for a free evaluation. See what they have to say. Usually this is cheaper than a dealership. But if they say its gone see what ford can do about possibly covering it. Don't stick to one dealer either. Get a bunch of info.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, August 7th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Whopper

dnkrm is on a distinguished road

Not knowing that much about transmissions I do have a few questions. In my case I have never had any kind of slipping or any time that it has popped out of gear, it simply shifts at wierd times, does that indicate more of an electrical/computer type issue or is that possibly related to valve body or other problems? I did unhook the battery the other night so I hope to take it out this evening and see if anything has changed. Later
Old Fri, August 7th, 2009, 02:09 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I know we all don't like going to the dealers but maybe its time you did. Just ask questions don't commit to anything. I know in the past there have been tsb's for surging issues and maybe that's the case. But I haven't heard of one for erratic shifting.

Lars

Old Fri, August 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Is it acting anything like this?

http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...read.php?t=705

Lars

Old Fri, August 7th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Is it acting anything like this?

http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...read.php?t=705

Lars

I don't recall having a surge issue but I have experienced a shudder or two in the past, not conistent at all. Still, I am afraid I am headed down the same path as mercedestech. I just wish this would have shown up a few thousand miles ago. I see all these used tranny's on car-part for cheap, if I end up having to do replace it would that be a viable option? Obviously a rebuilt would have a warranty, but I don't suppose the warranty covers the labor to replace it if it goes again? thanks
Old Fri, August 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Whopper

Well, I got lucky. I took it to the ford dealer where a friend from f150online works and they found a tsb that pretty much nailed what my truck was doing. They replaced a check ball in the valve body and while in there put in a new filter and fluid. Shifting is back to normal but after all the research I've done I am not sure if I should put the tuner back on. It seems like these tuners are associated in a lot of tranny failures! Anyone think this is valid?? I know I will for sure not use my 89 performance tune until Bill has a chance to look at it and see if there is anything unusual. The ford tech said it was possible the tune attributed to the problem but who knows. I am just glad it was $300 and not $3000. Still I don't want a $400 paperweight. Any thoughts?
Old Fri, August 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Bacon King

Sburn will become famous soon enoughSburn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkrm View Post
Shifting is back to normal but after all the research I've done I am not sure if I should put the tuner back on. It seems like these tuners are associated in a lot of tranny failures! Anyone think this is valid??

Bill addresses this exact question today at F150online. I'm suspecting that Jack or one of the other mods will make this a sticky here, or Bill can report it here.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...-bill-php.html

Old Fri, August 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Great find!

Ok Sburn! You got your wish!

I will make it a sticky.

Lars

Old Fri, August 14th, 2009, 03:52 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkrm View Post
Well, I got lucky. I took it to the ford dealer where a friend from f150online works and they found a tsb that pretty much nailed what my truck was doing. They replaced a check ball in the valve body and while in there put in a new filter and fluid. Shifting is back to normal but after all the research I've done I am not sure if I should put the tuner back on. It seems like these tuners are associated in a lot of tranny failures! Anyone think this is valid?? I know I will for sure not use my 89 performance tune until Bill has a chance to look at it and see if there is anything unusual. The ford tech said it was possible the tune attributed to the problem but who knows. I am just glad it was $300 and not $3000. Still I don't want a $400 paperweight. Any thoughts?
I don't think you have a $400 paper weight. It was something that was misfortunate just like a lot of other things that happen on these trucks or other makes and models.
Now if it were something electronically controlled and when you had a tune loaded and it started acting funny but when it was put back to stock it cleared up. That would lead me to believe it was the tunes.
That's why we ask a lot of ?'s when trying to find a solution or answer.
I also think you are quite fortunate to have found the problem when you did.

Lars