Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2009 to 2014 F-150

2009 to 2014 F-150 3.5L, 3.7L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L, and 6.2L equipped F-150s

Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough
Question It's almost here...

Invoice #3440

2009, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.73LS, stock tires and rims.

Okay, so first the good news.

1. I have downloaded and installed Fusion and MyStyle software.

2. My new Gryphon CTS (I ordered two custom tunes, 87 performance and 87 towing; 93 performance is to remain canned PHP) is scheduled to arrive on Thursday.

Now the bad news...

1. I won't be home so I'll have to wait until Friday night to install it.

2. I'm still as to how and/or if I'm supposed to update it (through Fusion) or not... I have read through Jack's excellent sticky (referenced below). But I also read that the hardware that is currently shipping (from Edge) DOES NOT support the 09-10s and won't for several months (meaning all 09-10 owners units MUST update their units as soon as they receive them - even if they are bought directly from Edge).

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/gryph...te-cs-cts.html

So here are the questions.

1. Will/should I update the unit using Fusion when it arrives?

2. Will the unit come with Edge's canned tunes or PHP's canned tunes?

3. When my custom tunes are available (and I receive an e-mail from PHP), how am I going to download the tunes IF there is an update from Edge?

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Good questions, shotgun!

1. I think you need to get this answer directly from Bill or from Edge. If Edge doesn't have the firmware upgrade to support 09's I doubt Bill does either. But, if you plug the unit into your truck and it "recognizes" it, I suspect all is well and I'd leave it alone. However, you DO need to register your CTS with Edge for warranty purposes at least and do be advised of "critical" updates to the firmware from them. I don't think you have to connect the unit to Fusion to do this. As I recall, I just went to their website and entered the information manually.

2. On the CTS, Bill cannot "adjust" the canned tunes like he did with the older Gryphon. This is Edge's doing - since the units are not "recased", the tunes have to be left alone to be "CARB" certified. They're still better than stock though and Bill's adjustments were evidentally pretty minor.

3. This is why you DO need to register your unit with Edge. Until you get your custom tunes, you should be able to update the firmware on your unit at will. You want it to be using the latest version when you finally get word that your tunes are ready. If you don't do this, the tunes will be loaded and then Fusion will update the firmware and calibrations which will put you back to "canned". Now, Bill IS working on something with Edge that will keep this from happening in the future, but as far as I know, it is not in place yet.

Hope this has made sense. I'm jealous - sort of. I really like the new trucks a lot.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

I'll try to get some answers, Gentlemen.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Gryphon CTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
I'll try to get some answers, Gentlemen.
Thanks!

As I've never been called a Gentleman, I know you're talking to Jack.

Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
Invoice #3440

2009, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.73LS, stock tires and rims.

Okay, so first the good news.

1. I have downloaded and installed Fusion and MyStyle software.

2. My new Gryphon CTS (I ordered two custom tunes, 87 performance and 87 towing; 93 performance is to remain canned PHP) is scheduled to arrive on Thursday.

Now the bad news...

1. I won't be home so I'll have to wait until Friday night to install it.

2. I'm still as to how and/or if I'm supposed to update it (through Fusion) or not... I have read through Jack's excellent sticky (referenced below). But I also read that the hardware that is currently shipping (from Edge) DOES NOT support the 09-10s and won't for several months (meaning all 09-10 owners units MUST update their units as soon as they receive them - even if they are bought directly from Edge).

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/gryph...te-cs-cts.html

So here are the questions.

1. Will/should I update the unit using Fusion when it arrives? Yes, immediately.

2. Will the unit come with Edge's canned tunes or PHP's canned tunes? Edge's Canned Tunes

3. When my custom tunes are available (and I receive an e-mail from PHP), how am I going to download the tunes IF there is an update from Edge? We're still working on this with Edge. At this point, if Edge has an update, it wipes out custom tunes. It just means that your tunes would have to be reloaded onto Fusion and redownloaded.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Answers directly from the Mad Doctor, himself!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Gryphon CTS

Thanks Corey (and of course, Bill)!

Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Glad we could help.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sat, September 11th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Gryphon CTS

Just letting new and/or future Gryphon CTS owners know the progress of my install.

The Gryphon CTS arrived yesterday. (Thanks for the prompt service Bill and Corey.)

I registered with Edge; updated my UserCP; updated using Fusion; installed in the truck; and programmed to Level 1 (economy). Everything seems to be working fine, but I need to confirm the speedometer is accurate. I might need Jack's help.

FWIW:
1. I had to e-mail Edge tech support to tell them the part number was not on the box as shown on their website. Per their reply, the official Edge part number is 85250.
2. 2009 was not an option for the model year.
3. Ask them to update my registration (they replied that they did).

My hex code is RXFM4GA.

I also sent a PM to Corey:

Quote:
I assume you or Bill will let me know when my custom tunes are ready.

Considering the issues with the update process, can I suggest that you notify me when the custom tunes are ready (but don't put them on the server); I'll update via Fusion; send you an e-mail/PM that I've updated; and then you can put the custom tunes on the server for me to upload?

Make sense?
Hope this helps.

Old Wed, September 15th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Gryphon CTS

Default Found out something interesting...

Either the canned Edge economy tune or the CTS disables the Vehicle Health Report. Not a big deal, just found it interesting. I suspect it may have something to do with the CANbus communication protocol (too many devices? CTS seen as an illegal/foreign device?). I haven't tried disconnecting the CTS and running the report (yet).