Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, May 8th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Whopper

Stealth is on a distinguished road
Default Failed inspection

I have an edge evo custom tuned by Bill. He did these before he started doing gryphons waaaay back. He did me a custom 87 perf and 93 perf tune.

Last year I put on long tube headers. Bill told me a retune wasn't necessary. The LT's came with small cats and I ended up with cat inefficiency codes so I contacted Bill and he turned off my rear o2's so I could pass emissions for state inspection. I have since had magnaflow cats installed that are the same size most guys are replacing their stock cats with.

Well I went to get it inspected and my o2's are not ready. Friend of mine told me the rears might not have been turned off properly. Anyway, last week I sent Bill an email regarding this and haven't gotten a reply and I only have a few days left to figure it out. My main question is will it be safe to switch back to stock even with the headers to get my drive cycles in, in order to be ready for inspection?

2005 f150 5.4
Old Tue, May 8th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

I mentioned this to him already, Stealth. I'll remind him tomorrow.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, May 8th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Whopper

Thanks Corey!
Old Fri, May 11th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Whopper

Still nothing. Anyone care to take a stab at this?
Old Fri, May 11th, 2012, 08:31 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

The only thing I can think of is doing a battery disconnect(with the tune loaded and programmer disconnected, then hook up the programmer after the battery is reconnected) and completing a drive cycle again....something in the EVAP system might be the issue.....Bill omits the p1000 but none of the other drive cycle tests are omitted...

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, May 11th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Whopper

I'm not showing any codes stored on the tuner. Before the tune adjustmest and after the header install I got a couple of cat inefficiency codes with a light on the dash. I had bill adjust the tune to turn off. The rear o2's so the codes wouldn't come up. Since I knew the cats were small I put on the larger magnaflow cats. Never had an issue before with inspections and bills tunes. So will I be ok setting to stock for the inspection after drive cycles???
Old Fri, May 11th, 2012, 10:10 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
I'm not showing any codes stored on the tuner. Before the tune adjustmest and after the header install I got a couple of cat inefficiency codes with a light on the dash. I had bill adjust the tune to turn off. The rear o2's so the codes wouldn't come up. Since I knew the cats were small I put on the larger magnaflow cats. Never had an issue before with inspections and bills tunes. So will I be ok setting to stock for the inspection after drive cycles???
Just leave the custom tune loaded.....reset pcm....do the drive cycles....

your programmer cannot read if the tests have cleared...there's another scan tool for that....

Old Fri, May 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Whopper

I'll try. Hope it works. I can't afford another $40 for inspection being out if work right now.
Old Fri, May 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Whopper

The codes that I had were p0420 and p0430. Bill adjusted the tune to turn off the rear o2's so these codes wouldn't arise. After he did that the codes never came back. Fast forward six months to now and I have better cats and the cayalysts and o2's read not ready on the inspection report. This is why I believe the rears were not turned off in the tune properly. It is my opinion that returning to stock would be my best bet vs trying the same tune again. Opinions? I need an answer soon. lol
Old Fri, May 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
The codes that I had were p0420 and p0430. Bill adjusted the tune to turn off the rear o2's so these codes wouldn't arise. After he did that the codes never came back. Fast forward six months to now and I have better cats and the cayalysts and o2's read not ready on the inspection report. This is why I believe the rears were not turned off in the tune properly. It is my opinion that returning to stock would be my best bet vs trying the same tune again. Opinions? I need an answer soon. lol

I left Bill a note....